• Advertisement

Tecumseh 6HP OHV vertical shaft mower engine carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh 6HP OHV vertical shaft mower engine carb

Postby Loki » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 am

Hello All. I was wondering if anyone can provide a part number for the carburettor, or better still information where I could buy a replacement carb 6HP tec engine OHV vert shaft. The engine is about 8 years old. Was distributed by Allied Australia, The ID sticker is not there. There seems to be a load of OHH 6HP chinese clone carbs around but not sure if it would be suitable.

Cheers Loki.
Loki

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh 6HP OHV vertical shaft mower engine carb

Postby RoyM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Pretty much impossible without the model and spec number. Is there any information on the carburetor like a manufacturer or stamping numbers?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Boy I hate these new stickers instead of stamp metal. Even they are present they can be unreadable.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Loki » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Ok here we go as its written. Tec 6.0 HP OHV vertical shaft mower engine. Seeking a rebuild kit or a replacement carb. Any part numbers for a kit would help too. It appears to be a tecumseh brand carb and has a blue plastic emulsion tube. Thank you Loki.

Engine Label :
CTR 172 OHV
E-74003
Made in Italy
04 - 175 0118D

Carb Numbers:
C 8018 M9IP
Loki

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 am

Can't be of much help as the original Tecumseh company was gone before I got started working small engines full time. None of the part numbers in the IPL are familiar to me. Apparently the Italians had setup their own unique part numbers.

Centura OHV E-74 172CC Produce by Tecumseh Europa in Italy
Spec number E-74003

Carburetor PN 2088018

IPL https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjE46mQrvfXAhUMQiYKHb7rCJsQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fersatzteillisten.motoruf.de%2FTecumseh%2FMotoren%2520Europa%2520Komplett%2FCENTURA%2520OHV.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Z4JT6-KfI7qVqDPaUQFFA

Is there any other numbers on the carburetor?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Loki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 am

No more numbers on the outside, Theres a casting number inside the carb housing but I dont think its an ID. Ill try giving it a ultrasonic clean (when it comes from China), see if that works. Its visually not that bad so a good clean, kit, and setup might give it some hope.

Its all hit and miss with the non genuine carbs out there for Tec. Maybe one of those OHH clone carbs might do the trick, but I will clean and kit the old one first.

Over the years the U.S. made Tec engines I found to be reasonable performers when the carb parts were readily available. We got an influx of the euro / Italian Tec engine lines in the last few years before Tec closed up. Saw quite a few Prisma engines. From memory some had Dellorto carbs.
Loki

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 am

I have had to same problems with those aftermarket carbs for various equipment especially those off Ebay. I quickly learned to stick with OEM carbs and even some of the 2 cycle replace carbs from OEMs that have superseded don't work properly at times. It looks like China is cloning everything lately even seen a Nikki clone that wasn't but the customer still had the original Nikki and I was able to repair it.

With Briggs and Stratton they are now subbing Ruixing carbs for Walbro carbs and some of the Nikki carbs.

Most 2 cycles that have the Ruixing carbs don't even have kits available but carbs are being dumped on market at such a low price it not even worth trying to rebuild them anyway.

This carburetor dumping by China is something that all of us techs will need to work through even though it can drive us crazy. I sorta like what we go through when a manufacture closes up shop.

As for the ultrasonic cleaner they do very good job for me. I do know they will take longer times to some carbs. The time involved depends how dirty they are and power of transducers. I currently a 240 watt unit and it still can three or four cycles on very dirty carbs. I had a 60 watt unit that nearly 6 hours on one carburetor once but it was extremely dirty and corroded. It is also to keep your cleaning solution fairly clean which is why I change out my soap mixture when it dirty. There is also times a little wire probing helps to get things started.

There are cleaning solutions specialized for ultrasonic cleaning but so I am just using either my 12.5 pH UC soap or Dawn Ultra liquid dish soap. Never use any flammable liquids in the ultrasonic unit either, you don't want burn down the shop or home.

I got so dependent upon mine I have completely quit using the dip cleaner. My first unit [2.5 L] I sold as I outgrew it. The only problem so far is that I have a couple units to fail. First one [6L] I replaced with a larger 10 L unit which of failed too but it was something wrong with the heater as failed the first time I used the heater. I had it repaired since it was still under warranty and got a second unit as a spare so I won't be down when one fails again.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Loki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks KE4AVB, Thats a good tip-off for the ultrasonic cleaner on the solutions to use.

Ive got some leftover Yamalube carb clean soak, it seems to fairly benign but effective, I think its mix it 1:2 parts water. Haha is that 666mL of Yamalube to 1334mL a devilish mixture. say about 600mL YL to 1400mL of water should cover it for the 2L solution. I will go for the Dawn (is that, dishwashing liquid?), or Simple Green, Bunnings sells that one.

Got caught on Flubay, the guy had the ultrasonic cleaner as a local address ie in the same country but I find he shipped from China. Oh well its a long wait. Hope the thing dosent get squashed before getting here.

Ive ordered a couple non gen needle and seat kits, this will be hit and miss for sure. Do you know anywhere where I can buy some Tec genuine carb kits. Those little O emulsion tube o rings, would be nice to get a packet of those.
Loki

Postby bgsengine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Loki wrote:
Ive ordered a couple non gen needle and seat kits, this will be hit and miss for sure. Do you know anywhere where I can buy some Tec genuine carb kits. Those little O emulsion tube o rings, would be nice to get a packet of those.
Tecumseh part number 632547 cheap enough I see they even have them in 50-pack on amazon if you want them in bulk or there's many 2-pack offerings on ebay
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum