• Advertisement

Ultrasonic Cleaners for carbs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ultrasonic Cleaners for carbs

Postby Loki » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello All, Im wondering, for small engine carbs in this case a tecumseh carb, to remove the pressed plastic inlet and primer bulb. To remove all plastic and synthetic parts? Never used one of these before. Loki.
Loki

Advertisement

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners for carbs

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:06 pm

For me I use only soap and water in my UC. Being either some 12.5 powered soap for UCs or just Dawn Ultra Original. I aviod the ones with bleach or the anti bactericidal versions. I usually ran temp up to 50C. With that said DTI has UC specific carburetor cleaning solution available that some of the guys here use.

But having removed plastic it not necessary when using soap and water though the removing nozzles does help on deeper cleanings. I can even leave paper gaskets in place most times as it restore somewhat those crushed areas.

Just son't overload the tank with unnecessary items as it does affect cleaning times.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:59 am

No need to remove any/all no-metal parts. For a Tecumseh carb, I would definitely remove the welch plugs so you can probe and the ultrasonic can penetrate. As far as cleaners go I am in the DTI solution camp that KE4AVB mentioned above as it was recommended to me by a veteran and highly respected member on this forum. Just remember that with ANY cleaning solution you use make sure and purge any/all solution (water) from all internals and passageways before you reassemble. We use a can of spray carb cleaner with one of those tiny red tubes. Which ultrasonic did you purchase?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Considering the price of a gallon DTI #203 and needing a mix ratio 1/2 of 203 to 2 gallon of water. It seems rather expensive to me. Here my question just how times do you filter and reuse the mix before it cleaning action reduces too much?

Here even when I use the Alojet 4 lb box of powder [less than $35] I only use two tablespoons to the 2 gallon (10L tank full) then I change out when dirty. It is the same mix ratio I use with the Dawn Ultra I use.

Maybe I just cheap.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:00 pm

The mixing ratio for the DTI cleaning solution is 5 parts water to 1 part cleaner. We will clean at least 3-4 carbs before filtering it and doing that many again before discarding. We never place a REAL dirty (on the exterior) carb in the ultrasonic w/o giving it a "pre-cleaning" on the outside with spray carb cleaner first. We are not a professional shop (just garage hacks) so a gallon of DTI lasts us a LONG time.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:38 am

That kinda what I figured you was doing. It just that I have cleaned close to 75 carburetors this year and the DTI could run a small fortune though I would incorporate that into my pricing if I was using it. It is reasonable to clean the exteriors as there is trash there can migrate into the carburetor while cleaning. Actually it should be done on all carbs or at least I do.

So far I am only buying one 4 lb box each year. And the dish soap I can't count as I use it for everything including my personal grease removal. I just don't like the flavor of the mower grease and oils when I eating. :lol:

The DTI solution would go a lot further with a smaller UC but I have gone from 2.5 L to 10 L units. Mainly because the physical size of the carbs I am cleaning. I just couldn't get the larger carbs fully submersed. I also got tired of the 8 minute max timer.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Loki » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 am

I purchased a fleebay ultrasonic cleaner, just one of those that has flooded the market. Its labelled GT Sonic 2L. Ive done 2 carbs and used 50mL simple green detergent, and it worked well. The Briggs Quantam carb was in bad shape but came out cleaner than expected , squirted carb cleaner down the orifices and compressed air to finish off. Worked well.

I did the tec carby as well, Im just waiting on carb kit to finish it off but it certainly cleaned up well. Did the carb clean and compressed air to dry and finish off.

Very impressed with ultrasonic cleaner so far.
Loki

Postby creia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm

It sounds like you have a good system. Make sure that you also (gently) PROBE any/all small passageways as well. We use a set of torch tip cleaners for this purpose. The first reaction my son and I had after using the ultrasonic for the first time was "Why did we wait so long and not purchase one of these sooner?"
MIchael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:11 pm

I purchased a heated HF unit. Small as I am not a professional repair. I think it has about a 2 pint capacity. It really is only good for one small engine carb at a time. I started using a dollop of Dawn in water per KE4AVB recommendation and works well. I also have been using a product called "Citrol" by Schaeffer's (a friend of mine is a distributor) in place of Dawn. A citrus based degreaser. It works very well. I probably put 1 to 2 oz. in the water. I typically don't remove the welch plugs but will remove the primer bulb on the Tech carbs. I also do a good outer surface cleaning before even thinking of running it through the US cleaner. My US has a max 8 minute cycle. I usually run it through at least 4 cycles and I may reposition the carb each time. It really is quite amazing how clean they come out and the operation results. I also use compressed air when I remove them to get as much water gone and then maybe a little carb cleaner before re-assembling.
I have had my US for two years and probably 20 - 30 carbs. I use fresh water solution on every carb. I do not reuse.
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum