• Advertisement

Torquing Flywheel

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Torquing Flywheel

Postby dennis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 pm

I am trying to torque a flywheel to specs (100 ft lbs). It is on a B&S Intek Mod 215802. The engine is mounted on a wood splitter, and I am having difficulty finding room to get a good grip with a strap wrench. Even if I could, at 100 ft lbs I think it would be hard to hold. I am thinking of stuffing rope into the cylinder to hold it. I know a lot of people do this, but before I do, any pitfalls???
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Torquing Flywheel

Postby 38racing » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm

i rotate clockwise to tdc compression. i then reverse it 1/4 turn to put piston mid stroke. i then stuff in as much cotton rope as will go in it. i figure at that point the valves will be closed. it should rotate just a bit when you start to tighten and then hold firm. when done then reverse flywheel to remove rope.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Check ASPI 82 and 89. I believe you will find that torque is 110 ft-lbs and that you might be needing to use a steel key.

Also download the B&S Engine Spec in the Downloads forum to view the notes I have added since the chart was created by Briggs.

And I better not say how I use a big flat blade screwdriver to this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks, 38 racing , for the tip.

I saw the downloads, KE4AVB. ASPI does say the torque should be 110 ft lbs. Do you see any problem using a rope to keep crank from turning when torquing flywheel at 110?
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:05 pm

dennis wrote:Thanks, 38 racing , for the tip.

I saw the downloads, KE4AVB. ASPI does say the torque should be 110 ft lbs. Do you see any problem using a rope to keep crank from turning when torquing flywheel at 110?

Well this I haven't done that way so I would like to hear what others recommend as I use either a way to the lock the PTO end of the crankshaft such as the tool made from connecting rod that engages the keyway or the large screw driver tip into the ring gear teeth then hold the screwdriver up against the coil stand off post. Just recently torqued opposed flywheel to 145 ft lbs doing this with the screwdriver but it makes me nervous doing it that way as you could break the coil stand-off.

I am just not comfortable putting anything in the cylinder. I did try the rope trick on 2 cylces but had problems with getting caught in port transfer ports so I went with piston stops. From the angle the piston stop would be at on OHV engine I would think it would do more damage than it helps.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 am

I've used both the rope method and the large screwdriver method in a flywheel tooth when I could not use a strap on the flywheel. (probably no flywheel teeth on yours)
If the flywheel fins a not wimpy I can sometimes weave a nylon strap around the flywheel and through some of the flywheel cooling fins for a secure lock.

I'm really careful when using the rope on 4 cycle engines, I bring the piston to TDC on compression stroke then insert the very minimum amount of cotton rope to lock the piston at TDC or close to TDC so the valves are not fully open or almost closed. The more rope inserted the more likely some of the rope is on top of a open valve.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 am

Why not just remove the push rods on the OHV engine that way you know the valves are closed. I know it more work and sealant but it wouldn't hurt to the valve adjustment anyway.

But if not mistaken and I could be this model has electric starter option and I see two different flywheels on the IPL that I looked at and both had ring gears.
StarTech

Postby dennis » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 pm

This flywheel does not have a ring gear. Plastic fins bolted onto the flywheel. Removing the push rods or just loosening and turning the rocker arms would work.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Well that clears up things...Since we didn't have the type number.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:03 am

We call it "the old Indian rope" trick....been doing it since the 70s.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum