• Advertisement

murray snow blower locked up

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

murray snow blower locked up

Postby plotthound » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am

ive got a murray snow blower model # 627808x84 here that locked up on me.did an oil change,carb clean,new plug and a new starter,machine started and ran fine.went to start it today and the pull cord would not turn the engine over nor would the electric starter.checked to make sure it was not hydro locked and it was not.removed the belt cover and got a wrench on the engine pully shaft and it was tight.worked it back and forth and it began to move.removed the auger belt and it was still a little tight so I removed the drive belt and the engine turned over freely.removed the bottom plate from the blower and everything looks intact and all the bearings seem good.cant see anything that would make the engine bind up.what the heck would cause this malfunction? I'm going to go ahead and split the machine and see if theres any problems I can visually see.

plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: murray snow blower locked up

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Haven't work on SBs here due being in the South but sounds like a bearing seizing from rust. If you can let it sit a couple days with the belts off to help pinpoint which section is binding.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm

maybe carb let gas thur to the crankcase check oil for gas
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 am

possibly the rubber driven wheel is not disengaging from the drive disc? can you move blower easily with engine off? should be able to check wheel by just removing bottom cover
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 am

this ipl should show drive bearings as well
http://www.partsandservice.com/html/Mur ... 8x61a.html
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:43 am

man o man I just don't see anything wrong in ther.im kinda thinking that the belt de-railed and bound everything up.i jus put 2 new belts on it and everything seems fine.famous last words.lol :idea: :bricks:
plotthound
Guide

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi Plott

When you're installing the auger drive belt on these units, you must hold the idler pulley in the engaged position, or you can't get the belt under the pulley brake. If the belt rides over the brake, it's almost impossible to turn the engine over as the mechanism is fighting itself and can't release the belt tension. Look at key # 103 in IPL 02 (Frame), the idler pulley is bolted onto the top part of a C-shaped bracket. On the bottom of this bracket, there is a tab that presses on the outside of the auger drive belt when the auger is disengaged and prevents the auger from running on once disengaged. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby plotthound » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:38 pm

thanks skywatcher,i put 2 new belts on this turkey then blew snow for an hour with no issues.must have been an auger belt de-railment that caused the lock-up.i cant make it do it again. :?:
plotthound
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum