• Advertisement

Oh the joy of Generator failure

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Oh the joy of Generator failure

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:38 pm

I just got back to find a generator awaiting repairs. My first vertical genny with a 310000 series engine.

It was running at full throttle when it lean out and shut down. Customer had just left it running while he went to house to get something he needed.

Several problems found already before complete tear down.

• Blown battery charge fuse. Briggs had put a household 250 Vac 10 amp fuse in place of a 32 VDC 10 Amp. Yes they are different.
  • AGM battery completely discharged causing the fuel solenoid to drop out
  • Pull valve cover
    • Broken exhaust rocker arm
    • Bent intake push rod
    • Exhaust push out place
    • No response from exhaust lifter

Looks like just a case of lack of preventative maintenance.

Just hoping there no serious damage to the crankcase. All things I don't have the push rod. I going need to start stocking more of these aluminum ones.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Oh the joy of Generator failure

Postby Luffydog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Does that unit have a oil shut down on it? Had one year or so ago but it was the generac. The rods was bent but the valves had ceased up and wouldn't move. I think best I can remember it was low on oil but never shut down. Which was funny that it just bent the rods when the valves stuck. I would have thought it would have broken the piston arm first from lack of lube and heat. He didn't want to tear it down. Told him it would be a big chance to just put a head on it. The person he let borrow it and the owner went to court far as I know they are still in court over it. Last I heard judge ruled the man to pay for a new gen. And still hasn't. Really shocked that I haven't been summons to court yet over the issue. Told the owner I didn't really want to get in the middle of the issue as I didn't know about what was going on and wasn't told before hand about the issue. He said that if he told me that before hand he was afraid I wouldn't have gave honest opinion about the gen. I told him I would have and prob broke the engine down to get a better diagnosis of what damage was done and better for the repair. But instead I wrote out a bill for a new gen and it was beyond the total bill for a new gen. In fact I told him to get and second opinion of the gen and issues and the mechanic told him to just get a new one that it wasn't worth fixing verses the cost of the new.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:44 am

I know the type, I would rather the customer to be up front with me too. Anyways that why I charge for doing estimates up front as a lot of the customers want to stiff you on those charges too.

The engine has low oil pressure switch but the generator wasn't wired to use it. Valves themselves are free and engine spins fine with the plug out. Done check for valve guide problem and they seem to be fine but will still pull the head.

Oil is fine but I know that can be if the operator refilled it. I know the operator well enough to know he fairly straight with me about the problem. I done a lot work for him over the last 7 yrs. I think it just dropped a push rod that started the whole problem.

I got a reclaimed head and camshaft from a blown engine that was a complete mower I purchased last Spring because a customer was wanting the Dana 6 speed transaxle. That customer failed to comes and get it so it still out in the shop.

The only way I going to know what is bad is to do the breakdown next week. Just don't have the shop floor space for a in the shop tear down if I use the engine crane and its way too cold to do it outdoors right now. It made it to freezing Saturday but the wind chill was in the low teens. Supposedly going to warm up Sunday and Monday but that with snow, sleet, freezing rain, and then just rain. Temps starting in the mid teens then going to the 40's by dark and back down to freezing. I just not loving this yo-yo weather. It will near 70 by the end of the week if the forecast holds.

Darn I going to need to build a shop, actually expand the current 24 x 24 one. Pricing out the materials this winter for what looks to be a 24 x 30 x 12 steel building with a concrete floor. Looks like the building is around 8,000 to 9,000 plus the floor. I would just place it where the two story house was torn down. Just really don't want to go into the savings anymore than I need to as I about wiped myself out buying the home.

First I would like to rebuild the storage space/office area at the pole barn that way the tax man won't be wringing his hands. If I do that then I can free up a lot floor space as I can move my current storage out there. I would have not needed to do that if some idiot didn't put the tin roof on backwards over the shingle roof. Totally ruined all of the roof and walls as they were insulated then the termites moved in.

I manage to buy the table saw, nail gun, and miter saw I need this last year so it will go a lot faster than just using the Skil saw and a regular hammer. Just can't trust someone else to do the work after what I seen do here as to previous repairs. Just so much to do and try work too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

I know what u mean and feel the pain here as well. Temps here hasn't been above freezing in about two Wks. Now. Only the high to be in the 20's and low about 5 feeling about -9 here some mornings. Cold weather has big affects In the shop area if u don't have the space and heat. Makes for long days and also makes you worked all day for nothing just to freeze your butt Off for little money and most of them seem to be not worth the cold. Not really looking for all the rain and cold. If cold I rather have the snow to look at and the nice scenery to keep me warm.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Warmed up enough for me to start a tear down. Got the fuel tank off and I found the following so it is a short block if the customer wants to go that route; otherwise, it is a new generator. Looks like the counter balance upper link broke too. I am just stopping where I am at until I can find out what the unit cost new as I got an idea being a '05 unit the customer will just buy a new unit. The short is $518 plus the additional parts and labor.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Luffydog wrote: If cold I rather have the snow to look at and the nice scenery to keep me warm.

you ask for it ? You got it. :D
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks for the pic. You seem to find me everywhere I post. Stalker :lol:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm

What? No JB weld!!! It is really amazing how many of these single Inteks destroy their blocks. I've not seen one cracked there before. Sounds like there was enough going on inside though. Thanks for sharing.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum