• Advertisement

Honda Harmony 215 Blade clutch problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda Harmony 215 Blade clutch problems

Postby RMR » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I've got a Harmony 215, model HRM215-EM MZBB-6171708 in the shop with a clutch issue. According to the customer, the blade engages fine after startup, but then after a few min of mowing, it drops out.

First, I'll say, it has been raining here for 3 days with temps around 34˚, so I have to admit, I haven't had it out of the shop yet to verify this. I'm not real familiar with Honda push mowers, so I'm in need of a little direction. Google and youtube has been of little help on this exact problem. Past experience tells me its a gap tolerance issue. Am I correct in thinking so??

Thanks
Chad
RMR
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Honda Harmony 215 Blade clutch problems

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Since cable housing wear somewhat I check the free play of the Roto Stop cable per the owners manual. Note this mower can be either the PXA or the SXA model.

Link to owners manual.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHzMX9sLrZAhUM7lMKHXV4Cl4QFghJMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.powerequipment.honda.com%2Fpe%2Fpdf%2Fmanuals%2F31va3a02.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0FWClmPeh3MuRejt9f5r7_
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi RMR

Last year, a customer brought in a Honda Harmony because he believed the engine was seized. I found the engine would start and run with the blade engaged, but as soon as the blade was disengaged, it killed the engine. To make a long story short, this unit was designed to have 2 blades, the cutting blade and the mulching blade, one on top of the other. He bought and installed a new cutting blade but left the mulching blade off, so the clutch retaining bolt was jammed against the topside of the cutting blade. The mulching blade goes on top of the cutting blade and has a much larger center hole to give clearance for the clutch bolt. I realize this may not be the problem with this unit, but it's just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Sure could enjoy some of your 34ºF temperatures here, woke up yesterday morning to -14ºF (-26ºC or 247ºK). All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby RMR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The first thing I did yesterday when I got it up on the bench was check the Roto-Stop slack, and it's within spec.
RMR
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum