• Advertisement

Craftsman Snowblower Issue

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Snowblower Issue

Postby ucm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Hello Gents! New to the forum, and very happy I found you guys.What brings me here today is an 04 Craftsman blower (Model 586.881800, Ser. 7546119442A192, DOM. July 12, 04) (B&S 8hp, 12E114 0268 E1, 040629FD) brought to me with a low power, stalling and dieing under load issue after a "carb rebuild". I initially thought it would be a typical gummed up, varnished, corroded ethanol mess that wasn't cleaned properly by the last guy. Well.....not exactly. I pulled the bowl off and two things that struck me were that the bowl gasket was kinda munched up and when I turned the carb upside down to check the float height, the float pointed up at darn near a 20 to 30 degree angle! I thought ok, here's the problem. Poor girl is starving! Problem is the float is all plastic with no adjustment possible. Next thought was maybe the needle seat wasn't down in its bore all the way, no dice. So, next thought was, new needle seat installed without removing the old one. Again, no dice. One seat only.
Owner says the guy who worked on refuses to admit he screwed the pooch. So, it's up to me, lol.
Searched the forum here and found out the carb on this thing has been updated by B&S SEVERAL times. Go figure. The other guy probably bought a carb kit which turned out to be for the new carb and didn't realize it. Owner would like me to try sourcing the correct parts before buying the updated carb for $70+. I know from reading through the forum here that it had either an LMS or Ruixing carb on it, but not sure which one. Would any of you gents be able to help me out with identifying which carb this blower wore from the factory and a source for part numbers/parts. Any help is appreciated.
ucm

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Snowblower Issue

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 pm

The Ruixing was put on after code date 10043000. Current PN 798917.

Float needle seat do swell causing the problem you describe with the float level but the Ruixing doesn't have one instead it uses a rubber tip needle only. It is the older Walbro LMS that had the rubber needle seat with an all metal needle.

Ipl can be found at Jack's Small Engine

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/briggs-stratton/100000-19z999-series/12e100-to-12e199/12e114-0268-e1/carburetor-fuel-supply
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby ucm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Ok, so it's a Walbro LMS then and Briggs has since discontinued using it. Now they're all updated Ruixings if I understood correctly? I'll give this thing a thorough cleaning just to be on the safe side and grab a new kit for it. Thank you for the prompt response.
ucm

Postby ucm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Sorry for the delayed resolution on this one. It got back burnered for a little while. He wasn't in a hurry and I had awaiting list, lol. Turned out to be a good thing though. Lo and behold, I found one of the updated carbs for sale for $20 on craigslist. Replaced it and she is good to go! Only hiccup was finding the correct governor setting. Instructions said to use the yellow spring in hole #5 of the governor arm. When I reassembled it she was turning just shy of 4100 rpm no load idle! I changed the spring to the next hole down (I think it was labeled "D" on the gov. arm) and it settled down to 3600 +/- 30. No more bogging or dieing out.
ucm

Return to Technical Discussion Forum