• Advertisement

Old Homelite

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Old Homelite

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:02 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:Thanks for the tip on the CS-352 Echo's. I think I will just go with the lighter one being I am getting older :D :D
I have not give up on the Homelite just yet even though I am going to purchase a new saw. I don't like defeat ;) ;)

Yeah just so you know, Homelite is not anything like they made them when you were a dealer (I was too) - they are now owned by a chinese company , Homelite, Ryobi are all made in china now (along with Green Machine) - they just have the brand and the colors but the core of the machines are nothing much more than the classic IDC Ryan throw-away builds (I'm sure you remember those $59 trimmers from Central tractor 90 days warranty , they blew up in 6 months usually, cost more to fix than throw it away and buy a new one) - Ryan bought by IDC became Ryobi , had some safety issues , went bankrupt, MTD bought them (and still base their Murray Troy-Bilt CUb Cadet brands off that basic design) , then sold to TTI - Homelite went to John Deere, then to TTI (if I remember right) TTI (Tech Tronics Industries) also known as OWT (One World Technologies) Dunno if they have changed their name yet again - dropped them in 2016 - but basically, a big chinese company and all that junk built in China Now. (along with Ridgid & Ryobi corded/cordless tools from Home Depot)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I have several old Homey's I like to mess with but don't have the time or patience for the modern products. They are simply not worth the effort. I have sold, serviced and owned Echo products and have nothing but good to say about them. Funny thing is trimmers, brushcutters and blowers flew off the shelves but we couldn't give the saws away, everybody wanted orange or red because that was what the loggers used.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 am

bgsengine, I never knew exactly what the story on Homelite was for sure. Thanks for clearing that up. I could see things changing way before it happened here.

Loggers here were no longer using chain saws like they did in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Modern equipment soon took the place of the old chain saw. I know loggers around these parts still use them but nothing like back then. I got out of the dealer thing in the mid 80's as much more money was to be made working on trucks.

The old Homelite Super wiz 55 and 66 were rock solid saws. I still have new gears and gas tanks that fit those at my shop. I just hate to throw things away but soon may just toss what I have left.

We sold lots of C72's and Super XL 12's. I have many brand new crankshafts that I think fit the C72 and XL 12. People were always forgetting to mix the oil and things happen. :o

I still own a plain XL 12 with manual chain oiling. It even has a bow blade. I just don't want to use it anymore as that thing is not safe to operate especially as I get older. It is also really loud :D

No more than I plan on running a saw today I just want one that will cut small trees and limbs as needed and also one that is light. I think the Echo model CS-352 is the one I will buy this week.

Our local Home Depot will have these models in later this week according to what they told me today.

I could talk Homelite chain saws all day. My dad made lots of money selling and serving these.

I even got an old newspaper article with his picture and Homelite rep telling about my dad selling more saws than anyone in the area way back then. On a normal Saturday in the early 60's there would be at least 25 chain saws on the floor ready to repair where the loggers would have them bright and early on Monday morning. Those days are long gone . Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi Tom

If you have some very old chainsaw parts that you think you might eventually toss, contact the Chainsaw Collectors Corner and let them know you have these parts. If someone is interested in them, you could send them for the price of shipping and at least know they'd be going to an appreciative home.

All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks Sky. Good idea. I have held on to these old parts for over 40 years. I still own my shop and have plenty of room for storage but would like them to see a good home.

I will do as you mentioned and let you know how it goes. :D :D

At one time I made a spread sheet of all these parts but don't remember what I did with it :? :? .

I can just take a picture and if anyone might want them I would be glad to donate them to a collector. Thanks for the suggestion. :D :D :D :D :D Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Arkie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Sometimes you can find hard to find vintage chainsaw parts at these links:
Some Homelite guys hang around at these links

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... -post.132/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... hainsaw.9/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Update on my old Homelite
I just didn't want this thing to beat me so I kept at it :)
I went to a friend of mine who has a small engine business way out in the middle of nowhere :) He told me to look and get what I wanted in his junk saw area.

I found a Homelite almost like the one I got. Different model number but chainsaw looked the same. Same throttle and choke setup. I checked and the carburetor was a Walbro . I didn't even bother looking at numbers on it as my small engine friend told me it would work and he had the correct part for it. :D :D

I took everything back to my shop . I have extra parts now if I need them including a good chain and bar. This old chainsaw had been out in the weather for no telling how long yet the carb and gasket looked great.
I cleaned the carb with spray cleaner and installed the kit.

Put a new spark plug in with fresh gas. Started right up.
This carb had mixture screws :D :D I can adjust with my small screwdriver. Don't think it has ever ran this good.
Starts on first pull after running it for a while and letting it sit for 20 minutes. Idles perfect and accelerates like a new saw :D :D

Finally something that will work. No more cheap carbs for me.

These sellers should not advertise that their carburetor will work when they won't even come close. I mean every place I looked on the internet after googling the model number :x :x All had the incorrect throttle set up.
This walbro I got off the junk saw runs perfect. Three hours later I tried it again and it starts on second pull. I am now happy :) :)
Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 am

You forgot the old saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure". That's how I learned two cycle repair by getting a truck load of junk two cycles but I still run across things every once a while the like Stihl HS56 problem I posted a problem to for a solution question even through I have fix it. I just wanting to of anyone else have seen the problem especially since the dealer couldn't even fix it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

KE4VB, never in a million years would I have thought I would have found a saw with the Walbro Carburetor that would work. I did look today at my shop and the old Homelite I removed it from was a 33 CC. It was the first saw I noticed laying in the weeds :shock: :shock: waiting on me to bring part of it back to life :D :D :D
I left fuel in the saw from Friday when I got it going.
I pulled it three times today. Started right up. I then used it to cut a Leyland cypress tree. I have several more of 20 year old Leyland cypress tree's to remove as they have reached the end :bricks:
Wished I had never planted these things but I did. 8-) 8-) 8-)
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Arkie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Tom

If you have some very old chainsaw parts that you think you might eventually toss, contact the Chainsaw Collectors Corner and let them know you have these parts. If someone is interested in them, you could send them for the price of shipping and at least know they'd be going to an appreciative home.

All the best,

Sky

Is this chainsaw collectors corner you mention a site online or at this site or ????
Arkie
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum