• Advertisement

Transmission fan??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Transmission fan??

Postby dart451 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Does anyone out there know where I could get a transmission cooling fan for a Crafstman 917.287121? I do see them with the pulley, fan, nut but not just the fan by itself which is the only part that seems to break!? I hate spend 70.00 when all I need is the fan...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Transmission fan??

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Hmmm, $14 plus shipping should be in the ball park....just for the fan.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

If you have a link for that KE4AVB, I'd appreciate it. I can't find the fan by itself any place, only the fan/pulley/bolt assembly. I see no individual part number just for the fan...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Check your inbox...Should be able get anywhere that has that part number like TEW, Jack's, Etc. If you give out the PN you will owe me two Porterhouse Steak dinners. ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Thank you...how do you like your steak cooked? lol
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 pm

I used to work for a Hydro-Gear distributor, the kit with the pulley is the only way I have seen it available. It is a common failure, the exposed fan takes a lot of abuse.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 pm

RoyM wrote:I used to work for a Hydro-Gear distributor, the kit with the pulley is the only way I have seen it available. It is a common failure, the exposed fan takes a lot of abuse.

Just the way they want it.

Still doesn't mean it isn't available separate for that T2, you just got to know where to look for it.

It like the 2012 Craftsman MTD mower that I completed transaxle repairs on this week. If I went solely by the IPL I would had to buy complete upper case half instead of the 2 needle bearings that I needed plus the shims. Or the JD with Kawasaki engines that JD charge high prices for the parts because they want to hide behind JD part numbers.

And then there is the Huskee that every online IPL has it without an electric PTO and the wrong deck belts that is an 808X instead of an 808H model. It took me a half hour on the phone this morning with MTD level 2 support to even get an electrical diagram. By the way I also got the correct IPL while I was at it so my customer can get the correct belts and blades.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum