• Advertisement

honda EB 4000 generator problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: honda EB 4000 generator problem

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 pm

You may need to re-jet the carburetor. There there different main jet that readily available for the genny. .92 , .95, and .98 mm. If not one of these then it is time to pull out the micro bits. But first try increasing the idle mixture slightly. It can affect the overall mixture at times.

Also the output should be closer to 120-130 vac @ 60-62 Hz (3600-3750 rpm). My current household voltage is 130 vac here.

BTW I going need to get the ruler out and slap your hand for the MTF thread. :lol: Just kidding....
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:01 pm

"BTW I going need to get the ruler out and slap your hand for the MTF thread. :lol: Just kidding"

while your at it slap me 3 times one for wasting money on this unit and twice for for the mtf and smokestack.lol
thanks for the reply KE4AVB,gonna increase the rpms then till I get 130 volts then see where my hertz are.i hope this old sucker isn't a 50 hertz unit. :idea:
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 pm

If I wasn't wasting time and money as you call it I would not what I know now. As long you are learning even from your mistakes it can be well worth it. And sometimes it is good to get multiple view points. Sometime someone on forums have seen the problem before and can steer you down the right path.

I would like to heard that you might have a tach in your future plans as it would definitely tell if you're in the correct rpm range as there could be alternator problem. So far I only seen burnt out rotors but tomorrow is another day and no telling what it might bring.

I have learnt at least one new thing this week so I am ahead of game for a while. Seems to be always something new to learn.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:56 pm

its a learning curve allright,lol.i don't have a tach,was just using my kill a watt.

thanks 8-)
plotthound
Guide

Postby Arkie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm

[quote="plotthound"]took the carb apart and it was spotless,cleaned it anyway.put it back together and it still hunts unless I partially choke it.threw the meter on it and adjusted the govoner till I got 115 volts,put it under load with my big worm drive saw and it remained at 115 volts.checked the cycle with the hertz setting and I'm only getting 42 when it should be 60.42 remained constant even under load.

Some of the later units have a governor spring, called governor sensitivity spring to slightly control hunting. If it does not have the AUTO throttle sometimes you can turn in a long carb idle screw to keep a gen unit from hunting up and down at no load, but I make sure the engine idles and also runs smooth at high rpms before I do such. (not compensating for a lean carb condition)
The 42 hz is in the neighborhood of a 50 hz unit for 115-120volt.
Take the load off and use the rpm (HZ) adjuster screw (the screw with the big phillips head screw and associated big spring associated with the governor arm) and gently go for 135 volts then check the Hz with your kill 0 watt. If it's still below 60hz you probably have a 50hz unit. I do not ever use a tachometer on a gen I just use a HZ meter and voltmeter.

Also it is best to use a resistance load (resistance heating elements are good) instead of a motor inductive load when test loading a generator. Would be unusual for a Automatic voltage regulator (AVR) on a Honda gen to cause your issues.

I use a short extension cord for the kill o watt meter so as it don't have to ride on the vibrating gen unit.
Your unit has symptoms of a 50 hz unit. A 50hz unit turns at 3650rpms and a 60 hz unit turns at 3650 rpms. (for 125-130 volts)
I have several Honda gen service manuals of several different models on a CD and a EB4000 is not even listed for 60 hz units. If you get to 135 volts no load and the freq is below 60hz you most likely have a 50 hz unit.

See if you can get a frame number off the unit and if you see such check with Honda for the HZ specs for that frame number.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:38 pm

thanks arkie,will check that tomorrow.why would a 50 hz unit even be available in north America?
plotthound
Guide

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 am

plotthound wrote:thanks arkie,will check that tomorrow.why would a 50 hz unit even be available in north America?

I do not know. Maybe on a construction sites for lighting. Yours sure has symptoms of being such.

I've seen 400hz portable Onan gen units. The 400HZ gen units were used on construction sites for lighting and few tools made for 400hz and the tools would not as likely to get stolen because no demand for such. Some 400hz gen units were used as fish shockers by biologists. (not likely to get stolen, etc)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm

so today I messed a bit the the govoner setting and got it to about 56 hz at 120 volts.that I can live with.i don't think that bit of difference would hurt a fridge,freezer or a well pump.not sure about any electronics though.now I just gotta make it quit blowing oil out the breather.lol
thanks again
plotthound
Guide

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm

plotthound wrote:so today I messed a bit the the govoner setting and got it to about 56 hz at 120 volts.that I can live with.i don't think that bit of difference would hurt a fridge,freezer or a well pump.not sure about any electronics though.now I just gotta make it quit blowing oil out the breather.lol
thanks again

That is better than I thought you would ever see.
I've had to go to 130-135v at 63 hz on some gens to get an average of 60hz at 120volts with a 80% resistive load, loading and unloading the 80% load.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:26 pm

if there was more adjustment on the govoner I could get my 60 hz arkie.will see what it takes to get a few more turns or even bend the govoner arm a bit.

thanks
plotthound
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum