• Advertisement

honda EB 4000 generator problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: honda EB 4000 generator problem

Postby plotthound » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 am

cleaned the carb again and found two wee holes that I had missed.got a wire into them then soaked the carb over night in seafoam.put everything back together ant the hunting is almost gone so I give it another good dose of seafoam in the tank.seems better now.adjusted the govonor tention spring a bit more and got it to 59-60 hz.now the original issue with this generator was oil spewing out the crankcase breather tube.after all the engine work I did on it the was still a good stream of oil coming out of the tube so I removed the breather cover again and saw that there was only one little drain back hole for the oil to get back into the crankcase.i enlarged the hole to 1/4 inch then drilled 3 extra ones.put it back together and ran it for an hour and that was the end of the oil barfing problem.this little project got a expensive real fast but I hope I'm smarter for it.lol :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby RoyM » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:50 pm

:mrgreen: Good for you. I chalk it up to what I call the education tax, the cost of learning.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:37 am

You just learned more in doing this than at any factory training school. Most of them only hit the highlights that I have been to over the years. You also just found out that sometimes mods are necessary to overcome a design flaw, even OEMs do this at times. They call it product improvements. ;)

I am a self train fellow myself and I usually work rings around the local dealers as they techs are not that well trained or experienced. This doesn't mean that I didn't take 2 years of electronics training but most my mechanical training was done by my self father while I was a pre-teenager and continue by myself as you are doing now further training myself. I help rebuild my first V8 while I was in the second grade. Of course I don't know everything and I am learning new things all the time; none of us know everything. As log as you willing to ask for help when you need it is a sign of a good repairman. For me it is hard to get help with my problems as they are usually over the heads of most customer support personnel now and that is frustrating.

I personally know of several cases that the JD dealer even giving the completely false information and recently they couldn't even repair a Stihl hedger that was under warranty. I ended up having to fix it myself for the customer. I also got in several local shops supposedly repaired equipment last year that I had to redo. Mostly hack up wiring problems. Their screw-ups just make me look better and more profitable. :D
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:27 am

good for you KE4AVB,you found your niche in life. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum