• Advertisement

Briggs mower won't start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs mower won't start

Postby Luffydog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:43 pm

got the carb in hand pt# 799584 see if I can post a video or some pics of it.. but I have had trouble in the past on posting pics..
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Available for download or viewing in the Downloads under Briggs Advance Service info directory.

Any chance of a link to this - I cant find it?
Thanks
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Back out into the main screen scroll down to downloads and then open Briggs service and manuals. I think that is where he was talking about.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Correct. Once you access the Google drive Briggs directory there is a sub directory at top of the files list Call Advance Product Service Info (APSI). Once you select the sub directory scan the APSIs and DSBs for what ones that I have post to the drive.

Wristpin, I will PM you a link Briggs directory which I don't make public just for members.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Ok made a quick video of the carb. It is being posted on YouTube called carb Briggs 799584 breakdown. Might be a little bit for it to get posted. Might need ke4avb help on getting it to here if he wants to post it. I'll try to post a link thanks. Just found another video that is little better than the one I made I forgot one part that it shows other than that pretty much the same
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:20 am

I took it apart. no obvious crud. I did not actually pop the ball bearing out. I sprayed into the side jet with carb cleaner and air. I reached point of what I thought was good flow out the centre stack and stack with brass jet. also flowed in opposite direction from centre stack to side jet. I didn't do anything with the o-ringed stack. (it's function?). put it back together and still will only run on the prime. Do it all again? the jet assembly may be available for $10 . I never removed the float as I thought I had fuel drain from carb and float dropped ok. maybe I better make sure needle is not stuck. there was definitely fuel at the carb inlet from tank. was hoping to add a shutoff but full length of line is only 3 1/4 ".
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 am

found some more video. maybe I should have sprayed some ports in body? and in video he pulled apart the jet assembly to reveal the emulsion tube.
https://youtu.be/_mfUWBQXk4U. his has same symptoms as mine and now it runs.
also it appears that something can move and make prevent jet assembly insertion in the body. i better watch for that.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 am

I don't know about putting in a fuel shutoff but I have added those pancake filters in these lines. I got group at a nursery that is always getting trash in the fuel tanks. Yes it is a tight fit. The o-ring are oblivious sealing ones. Double check that module is clean as it does sounds like you still have a clog of some kinda. You don't need to take the carburetor off to check for fuel as there is a drain plug in the bowl as found that easier for getting water drained out.

Now Luffydog there is no way you can deny being a mechanic. Like a wife with dishpan hands. :lol: Sorry just had to say it.

One suggestion that helps me on those pins as my big fingers have very little grip due worn finger ridges is to try a pair of needle nose pliers to get a grip on that pin. Meanwhile I go put my waders on as it is pouring down here so I can get to shop. Now I know why I found a pair of hip boots in the barn.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 am

I was fighting with the pin but I forgot it just snaps in place nothing to hold just snaps. We all buckle under pressure or just have that crs thing going on. Believe it or not I just washed them before the video to start cooking in the smoker.
Last edited by Luffydog on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum