• Advertisement

Honda GC160 idle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda GC160 idle

Postby BLES » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I got a GC160 off a pressure washer that just had constant full-throttle speed. Starts and runs ok so I thought I'd use it on something else that uses a centrifugal clutch. However, I've tried everything and can't make it idle. It just dies at idle. Carb is clean, etc.. Is it possible these carbs are only calibrated for full-throttle and CAN'T idle?
BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Honda GC160 idle

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:34 pm

quite possible - like many modern rotary mower engines they may not even have an idle circuit per se, just an air bleed nozzle, since they are meant to run at a fixed engine RPM, no provisions are made for idle speed.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby BLES » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:43 pm

This one has an idle adjustment needle and "looks" like it should idle but....

Try a different engine I guess.

BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 am

What is the model - serial Alpha-numeric number or model and type code? I need to lookup the setup to see what is going on.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:33 am

BLES wrote:This one has an idle adjustment needle and "looks" like it should idle but....

Try a different engine I guess.

BLES

Not necessarily an adjustment - that may be just the pilot jet to feed fuel during load acceleration. or do you mean the idle stop screw (which also serves as a retainer for the pilot jet) ?

But as KE4 said,get the full engine serial (and type code) engraved in the side of the block and maybe we can see what exactly you are working with.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Is this engine going to be used on a mini-bike or go-kart? A simple solution just to get you going would be to purchase one of those China-made knock-offs on Ebay that is set up with a conventional idle and throttle. There are lots of listings at around $ 12.00 each. I have purchased a lot of the China-made Tecumseh carb knock-offs that have worked great. Just a thought...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:24 pm

I was going to put it on a plate compacter for occasional use. It uses a centrifugal clutch to operate.
I'm away but will post numbers later. Thanks for the input.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby Elader » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 pm

creia wrote:Is this engine going to be used on a mini-bike or go-kart? A simple solution just to get you going would be to purchase one of those China-made knock-offs on Ebay that is set up with a conventional idle and throttle. There are lots of listings at around $ 12.00 each. I have purchased a lot of the China-made Tecumseh carb knock-offs that have worked great. Just a thought...
Michael

That sounds a fun toy.
Elader

Postby BLES » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:06 pm

The numbers are extremely hard to see (etched in block) but this is what I think they are:
GCAHA-2726982-QHAF
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Don't look like that engine wasn't designed to idle but the there is a mixture screw and a throttle stop so in theory it should be able to idle but would require a speed control bracket from one that is adjustable on the speed. I don't see enough to be of any further here. Hopefully another can be of help here.

Your carburetor is PN 16100-ZL8-802 CARBURETOR ASSY. (BB61B C)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum