• Advertisement

murray hydrostatic

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

murray hydrostatic

Postby bluemower » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 am

I don't have any experience on hydrostatics. the local mower shop asked me to help with the overload.

The customer stated the reverse does not work. Mower is very sluggish in the forward position. Here are details.
Murray 46" cut
Model 465612X99b
SN 7461004713U151
Date code is 01047 (feb 2001)
Has the Tecumseh VTwin engine
Has a Tecumseh Peerless Hydrostatic transaxle (sorry, I could not locate a part number or model) This looks like a light duty axle.

I removed the rear battery box to look at the transaxle. Washed the best I could. Transaxle has a rubber hose sticking straight up - just to the right side of the pulley fan. I did not see any drain plugs or other fill caps. Transaxle was coated with oily dirt. The drive belt is routed ok. The top pulley on the transaxle is secure. The foot control is moving the transaxle lever full travel. I suspect slight oil seepage over the past 17 years plus internal wear from usage.

I am thinking I should pull the transaxle, turn it upside down to drain through the rubber hose. Then fill with 20W50. What do the experts think?
bluemower
Guide

Advertisement

Re: murray hydrostatic

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:47 pm

I think it needs a new transaxle Not sure if there are any kits available - that thing already has 2 strikes against it - Tecumseh Peerless been out of business for years.. and Murray also out of business (they still use the brand on some things built by MTD,though) and third strike would be - cost of a new transaxle (if you can find one) will probably cost almost as much as buying a new box-store tractor from wal-mart.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:32 pm

And don't forget Husqvarna is also using the Murray name as Briggs has it license to both companies. As far as the VST transaxles there is no parts available even Tecumseh was in business they didn't provide parts for these.

This why the Model / serial number tag has become so important too. I just this last week worked on both companies Murray walk behind mowers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi Blue

If memory serves me correctly, the ID tag on these transmissions is a small rectangular plate that sits in what almost looks like a 3 sided picture frame cast into the upper housing. This frame is just above the join line where the upper an lower case halves join. The top edge of the lower half being the bottom edge of the frame to keep the tag in place. See if this helps to locate a model number. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bobodu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 am

Did you first make sure the correct belt was installed? That 1/8th of an inch will make a difference...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 am

bobodu wrote:Did you first make sure the correct belt was installed? That 1/8th of an inch will make a difference...

A worn plastic composite v-idler can make the effective length longer even you have the exact size new OEM belt. I have seen mowers not even move because of this but would think Bluemower would know of this. This is because the v-belt is still too loose because of the wear.

Now the flat idlers don't affect the effective length as much when worn due the way they wear and how they tighten the belt.

As mention a difference in length can affect the operation but don't forget about the width, depth (height), and even the angle of the belt v are factors too. With width especially important when it come to v groove pulleys as it affect where they ride in the pulley's v groove affecting effective length. This why we have so many problems with MTD B belts as they are not standard 5/8 belts. Some are narrower and some are wider. All changing the effective length in those v groove pulleys.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Possibly a sticking brake caliper? These you hope for something external and move on at a shop level.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum