• Advertisement

Walbro LMK Carburetors???

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Walbro LMK Carburetors???

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Hello Y'all, got me a problem with my kohler powered rider/tractor, its a 16hp command series with the walbro lmk carb. What started happening is the engine would get flooded with fuel, draining most of the gas from the tank. I had a bad run on fuel shutoff valves, they were melting from the fuel, valves were plastic inline type.

I took the fuel bowl off and removed the float and the fuel needle, all looked good, but i never actually took the carb off. Well i did take it off the engine and want to give it a good cleaning, my question is how do i remove the emulsion tube and jet, it obviously threads in the fuel post but there are no slots or anything to get a hold of to turn it out??

Is there any tips or tricks you folks can give me, a heads up to look out for. This engine has run flawlessy for almost 20 years with nothing but oil/filter, air filter and plug changes. I appreciate any and all of your replies.
Matt
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Walbro LMK Carburetors???

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:54 pm

If I remember they don't come out.

If your having fuel seepage problem which is known issue with the LMK you need to install a needle seat kit. Would the engine number to give PN for the kit and also is this a gravity or fuel pump system as I got 4 kits listed for LMK; 2 for the Command and 2 for the Courage. Note these kit come with an included carburetor kit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:07 pm

KE4AVB wrote:If I remember they don't come out.

If your having fuel seepage problem which is known issue with the LMK you need to install a needle seat kit. Would the engine number to give PN for the kit and also is this a gravity or fuel pump system as I got 4 kits listed for LMK; 2 for the Command and 2 for the Courage. Note these kit come with an included carburetor kit.

Its a gravity feed command engine, i installed a fuel shutoff and it stopped the flooding. Its bizarre that the emulsion tube cant be removed, its threaded, but no way of catching it to unscrew it.

Thanks KE4AVB
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:45 am

Honestly I don't think they are threaded but are pressed in but when I get the next LMK rebuild I will double check. I think threading is just for the retainer/anti-fire solenoid. Anyway the needle seat will resolve the fuel leakage problem. Even if the needle appears good it is the seat that is worn and damage by fuel passing through. Using a magnifier loop I can see the damage on most. There are components in fuel that does this wearing and etching. At one time the only option offered by Kohler was a complete carburetor replacement at over $200 then they came out the $35 kit. It a common enough problem here for me that I keep one each of the 4 kits in inventory.

Those fuel shut off works great until the day you forget to turn them off.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 am

KE4AVB wrote:Honestly I don't think they are threaded but are pressed in but when I get the next LMK rebuild I will double check. I think threading is just for the retainer/anti-fire solenoid. Anyway the needle seat will resolve the fuel leakage problem. Even if the needle appears good it is the seat that is worn and damage by fuel passing through. Using a magnifier loop I can see the damage on most. There are components in fuel that does this wearing and etching. At one time the only option offered by Kohler was a complete carburetor replacement at over $200 then they came out the $35 kit. It a common enough problem here for me that I keep one each of the 4 kits in inventory.

Those fuel shut off works great until the day you forget to turn them off.

Yeah emulsion tube does not come out it's not removable without destroying the carb as far as I ccoul ever tell (tried to press out the tube on a scrap one once, only ended up breaking the carb body trying for leverage) Parts list for a typical LMK : https://www.ereplacementparts.com/walbr ... 40452.html
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 am

bit of info link about walbro LMK used on Kohlers.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/koh ... k_carb.asp

Anyone know of a reasonably priced (around $25 or less) reliable 12v inline type fuel shutoff solenoid that could be used on gravity fed lawn tractor engines. (to reduce possibility of crankcase flooding))

Reason I ask is the 12v solenoid could be installed in addition to the manual fuel shutoff. (mainly to prevent fuel flooding the crankcase) Manual shutoff's sometimes are forgot to be turned off or leak through and cause crankcase flooding.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am

O.K, makes sense, the threads i see are for the plug or the anti fire solenoid(which i have) is for. Very strange that the emulsion tube is pressed in, not serviceable, this is the first carb ive played with that removal is not possible. Thanks for all the replies, i will clean it up and get one of them rebuild kits, hopefully run like new again.
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 am

Anyone know of a reasonably priced (around $25 or less) reliable 12v inline type fuel shutoff solenoid that could be used on gravity fed lawn tractor engines. (to reduce possibility of crankcase flooding))

I know of one but the current draw will tax the stator; unless, you are using the 15 amp stator. It draws nearly 3 amps. The vacuum operated one I seen on a Chinese ATV makes more sense.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Fellow on another forum was having problems finding the float bowl gasket for that lmk. I found mine here.
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=6982
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... i=&p=11069
and maybe this
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=7122
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:08 pm

KE4AVB wrote:

I know of one but the current draw will tax the stator; unless, you are using the 15 amp stator. It draws nearly 3 amps. The vacuum operated one I seen on a Chinese ATV makes more sense.

Vacuum operated?

Wonder if one of these vacuum operated type fuel pumps would also be Ok as a fuel shutoff solenoid to stop fuel flow from a gravity operated system lawn tractors that use the Walbro LMK type carb or similar carbs.. (would the diaphragms inside the vacuum pump hold back fuel flow from a gravity system when engine is not running)
Reason I ask is it's less than $10 vs cost of a electric solenoid valve. I've used these type pumps when the gas tank is lower than the engine but do not know if they could be used as a gas shutoff from a gravity system when engine is not running and I do not have any vacuum pumps in stock right now for testing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Vacuum-Fue ... SwU1FXP7HA
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum