• Advertisement

Walbro LMK Carburetors???

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Walbro LMK Carburetors???

Postby 38racing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Arkie wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:
Anyone know of a reasonably priced (around $25 or less) reliable 12v inline type fuel shutoff solenoid that could be used on gravity fed lawn tractor engines. (to reduce possibility of crankcase flooding))

I know of one but the current draw will tax the stator; unless, you are using the 15 amp stator. It draws nearly 3 amps. The vacuum operated one I seen on a Chinese ATV makes more sense.

Vacuum operated?

Wonder if one of these vacuum operated type fuel pumps would also be Ok as a fuel shutoff solenoid to stop fuel flow from a gravity operated system lawn tractors that use the Walbro LMK type carb or similar carbs.. (would the diaphragms inside the vacuum pump hold back fuel flow from a gravity system when engine is not running)
Reason I ask is it's less than $10 vs cost of a electric solenoid valve. I've used these type pumps when the gas tank is lower than the engine but do not know if they could be used as a gas shutoff from a gravity system when engine is not running and I do not have any vacuum pumps in stock right now for testing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Vacuum-Fue ... SwU1FXP7HA

A friend gave me a rider with briggs OHV twin on it. Big tank so gravity would work until it got real low but it has vacuum pump. I got it because it flooded and he couldn't be bothered with cleaning the gummy carb. I assumed it flooded while sitting, not while running. Hasn't flooded on me but I installed a shutoff valve.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Vacuum operated fuel shut off valve (solenoid) and vacuum fuel pump are two different animals. Also you can't use a fuel pump on gravity systems as it will over power the carburetor float needle valve.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Vacuum operated fuel shut off valve (solenoid) and vacuum fuel pump are two different animals. Also you can't use a fuel pump on gravity systems as it will over power the carburetor float needle valve.

like this I assume.
https://www.amazon.com/UMPARTS-Vacuum-V ... B06Y53S899
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:11 am

Yes that would what I was referring to. They use the same principle as the vacuum operated fuel pump except automates the the manual fuel shut off valve as kids don't listen very well and those kid's ATV carbs are some of the cheapest designs.

Now if the fuel bowl is empty it will take a little longer to start as it got to refill.

BTW they had 9 now they have 4. I wonder why. It couldn't be someone like me ordered them as they have been looking for them for a while. Tnx for the link.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

KE4AVB wrote:Vacuum operated fuel shut off valve (solenoid) and vacuum fuel pump are two different animals. Also you can't use a fuel pump on gravity systems as it will over power the carburetor float needle valve.

I tested a Briggs vacuum operated fuel pump and gravity fuel still flows through with no vacuum applied. (cannot be used as a petcock valve).
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

38racing wrote:

like this I assume.
https://www.amazon.com/UMPARTS-Vacuum-V ... B06Y53S899

Thanks for the link.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:41 am

Arkie wrote:I tested a Briggs vacuum operated fuel pump and gravity fuel still flows through with no vacuum applied. (cannot be used as a petcock valve).

That is because the fuel has two one way check valves. As vacuum is applied the inlet check valve opens allowing fuel while the out flows closes. Once the vacuum is released and since is not metered it immediately starts pushing on the fuel closing the input check valve and opening the outflow check valve. Now when the pump is at rest any pressure from the fuel supply will open both valves allowing fuel flow just as it there no gating; unless, you're trying to reverse flow the pump which that case one or both check valves will close preventing fuel flow.

If you ever paid attention the fuel pump diaphragm inside a Walbro or Zama cube carburetor they operate much the same way.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum