• Advertisement

MTD snowblower carb gasket

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MTD snowblower carb gasket

Postby Ron » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Sears snowblower made by MTD model 31BM62EE799 sub model 247.88957
Someone left out two gaskets that go on either side of the carburetor choke plate identified as #34. Evidently, the whole gasket set has to be bought to get these two gaskets. 951-10661B. Any chance there is a part number for the two gaskets I need? I doubt if machine has been used 5 times,but had old fuel and the youngster who attempted to fix it had know no idea what he was doing.
Ron
Guide

Advertisement

Re: MTD snowblower carb gasket

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi Ron

All these gaskets are available through Oregon Outdoor Equipment Parts as Honda gaskets. I don't have an Oregon catalog in the house, but I can probably get you some numbers tomorrow. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Ron » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 am

Sky, I have a Honda catalogue. I don’t see a gasket that looks to fit.
Ron
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 am

He's right, sky - while those engines are basically Honda clones, many of them use quite different configurations externally - carburetors, exhaust, etc even among same model years, so there can be dozens of different gaskets and some only come in a kit such as with complete carburetor assembly or complete air cleaner assembly and so on, or in a engine gasket set.. same as with Honda engines 4 times out of 10 the Oregon (or stens or other aftermarket book) catalogs do not have the correct gasket for what I need, and they'd have to be ordered through Honda.

Also, I suspect many of, if not most of, the MTD Powermore engines are actually built by Subaru.. lots of stuff matches up with them too , and more convincing is the way MTD uses "SUB" in some of their engine model numbers..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 am

951-11897 (Stens 485-958)

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 am

Hi folks,

If you can't buy the gaskets would it be worth the time to make a couple out of appropriate gasket material?
From the photo of the Stens gasket they look pretty easy to make. I keep a few pieces of gasket material around for odd jobs like this. It can turn out to be faster and cheaper to make a couple of carburettor flange gaskets than all the time to track them down and wait for them to arrive.

Cheers from Downunder,
Roger.
rogerf
Guide

Postby Ron » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 am

That pic looks to be exactly what I need. Thanks. I thought about making my own but didn’t have anything to go by.
Ron
Guide

Postby acscolo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am

Lots of Powermore engines out there. All the Powermore's that I've worked on have used the same carb flange gasket. The part number was posted by KE4AVB. Yes you are right if you look up the IPL for the engine there is no part number for the gasket. My last parts order I picked up a couple dozen of them. I was able to figure out the part number by searching out the different IPLs here:
http://www.rvi.qc.ca/Powermore/
It was like a treasure hunt to find the part number.
I used the 265-SU for reference.
Good Luck
R
acscolo

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 am

Yes the supplier and OEM are making it harder to get individual components. Probably a cost reduction method of theirs for inventory control. Last week most of my wouldn't even supply me K1WYG carburetor repair kit instead want me to buy a $100 carburetor then I found both the carburetor for $35 and the kit for $8. Just takes time hunting them down. As the previous poster said it is a treasure hunt at times.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm

I just bought some honda gx200 carb spacers and gaskets (among other things) from hlsproparts since they were cheaper than my cdn supplier, but it took me awhile to decide if it was worth the shipping and $usd rate. But they had a kit that my supplier didn't offer. Shipping to Canada is a real dog's breakfast. It started at $10.50 USD but if I added 1 more of the tiny gasket it jumped to 16.50. So off went the gasket. Add a fuel joint, still 10.50. Then I found other stuff that was a good deal which took it to the 16.50. Then I just added more stuff until a 1 tiny item jumped it to 22.00 and dhl rather than usps (and maybe brokerage and tax). So I backed it off to the 16.50
Recently I did up an order to checkout for a part under $10. Shipping would have been $20 and that was for 400 km distance within Ontario. I got an email asking why I didn't complete my order.
Then I just received my Kohler coil from ebay seller that was shipped from California for 6.50 cdn and got it real fast.
And somewhere I have a 17$ gx200 clone carb coming from an amazon.ca seller with free shipping. Problem is it had no tracking. Not sure if coming from china or ireland. And then I found a better deal right in canada.
Now I'm waiting on an order from Banggood.com. All from china. Ordered last night, shipped today.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum