• Advertisement

Bearing Replacement on the Ogura Blade Brake Clutch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Bearing Replacement on the Ogura Blade Brake Clutch

Postby Seakaye12 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi,
I have a John Deere 14SB walk behind with the older Ogura Blade Brake Clutch. It has noisy bearings. Can the bearings be replaced? Can anyone give me the part number for the correct bearings? Hopefully a generic bearing number?

Are these units serviceable? Not sure if it's possible to replace the bearings....

Thanks, Chuck
Seakaye12

Advertisement

Re: Bearing Replacement on the Ogura Blade Brake Clutch

Postby RoyM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:55 am

According to the J-D website the complete clutch assembly has to be replaced, it is not serviceable. It won't be cheap but I have seen what happens when they come apart. It wasn't pretty.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Chuck

You still have a John Deere 14SB lawn mower, that machine must be 30+ years old by now, same as mine :-)

I tried replacing the bearings in one of these Ogura clutches when I still worked at the JD dealer. I could not find an acceptable method of staking the bearing back into the upper half of the clutch. The Ogura clutch has been NLA for over 15 years and has been replaced by the Warner clutch
(http://www.warnerelectric.com/products/ ... tch-brakes)
These clutches take a couple of different attaching hardware pieces, but they do fit and work once properly adjusted. Hope this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Seakaye12 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:45 am

Yes it helps. Discouraging but helpful lol....

It appears that they use the Nachi 6006 NSL bearings.....and variants of the 6006 are quite inexpensive; I will not invest $200 plus for a new clutch; as you say the mower is at least 30 years old and is not all that well made IMHO in spite of what others seem to say. Plastic wheels?

I suppose I can just keep the Kawasaki motor and scrap the rest. Someone might find a use for it.

Thanks for the reply. If anyone else cares to suggest a solution for R&R of the bearings.....nows the time!
Seakaye12

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am

You can use 6006-2RS, Just needs hi-temp grease installed. But as Skywatcher said these are staked in place so replacing without restaking can be a problem.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum