• Advertisement

thermoid belt

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

thermoid belt

Postby 38racing » Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Looking at kubota belt fro RC40LTF deck on a t1400 and sear supercedes kubota 66071-6173-0 to hus 583786801 which seems to have 'thermoid' associated with it and linked to belt number TH5H700 which I'm concluding is a 70 inch belt although I found a forum saying kubota called for 68" and poster actually used a 67" . Tomorrow I will measure existing belt too. What is thermoid?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: thermoid belt

Postby 38racing » Tue May 01, 2018 10:44 pm

ok. Another google. It's just a brand name?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 am

Yes just a brand name. Actually appears to an USA made product. Supposedly it a high quality product and probably explains why the hydraulic return hose that I looking on a RTV900 is so expensive too.

Can't help as K-Pad only pulls up T1400H with RC40LT deck and the belt pn don't match up to what you posted. Of course it maybe that is their superseded number that I am looking at too. Actually measuring it is probably a good way to go.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 pm

it's a shame that my neighbour didn't look after this unit better.
deck is in rough shape.hopefully I can get it running for a bit of time. I did find another good parts list for it.turns out the engine to deck belt is 70 " and the deck spindle one is 67 " as a poster on another forum indicated. sear indicated lots of parts NLA but other list still showing lots. maybe out of date. spindle pulley for $165 usd. that's nuts. someone has a used deck for 375 cdn but I can't justify that much on an 89 unit with nla or pricey parts.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:05 am

On the Thermoid front, they are my favorite aftermarket belt. I had a distributor that had them, but no more. They make many belts, or did for OEMS. Now the OEMS are China or Hecko in Mexico. I liked the fact that an American made belt would be on the machine too.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 03, 2018 7:12 am

I was using Sunbelt/A&I belts which made in India until last year when every OEM spec belt started being nearly an inch short. That was after 6 years of them. I am now back with the Stens belts which labeled "Made in the USA" and they are as spec'd on the packaging. So they cost a little more, it not worth the hassles that those belts labeled one size and actually being another especially when dealing MTD items. Oh I do have a large supply of the Sunbelt belt and blades but most are before they over to the India manufacture.

Another problem I had with Sunbelt last year is that went with Rotary MTD spindles with a three point star instead of the normal 6 point star and the MTD blades that were selling were of the H pattern (double diamond) which wasn't compatible with the Rotary spindles. Supposedly they have gone back to a six point blade design but it be a while before I order a couple blades as a test run. The six blade would actually work of the Rotary three point spindle then using the H blade of the six spindle.

One benefit of the change was that I manage sign up with Stens as a dealer which is a plus. It take time me to build up the volume they would like me buying as to work out the older inventory as I switch over but so they have 500 of the 1500 that would have went to Sunbelt.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 pm

I like Stens belts in general. I have a good HOP and MTD distributor, so they get OEM. Many of the Deeres and others get Stens. I used to think that they were Thermoid on the spec belts, maybe not anymore? The first year or two they signed me up with good discounts. Then i quit ordering their blades and my discount is, well- I can order Setns belts of Amazon if I need 1 part for close to the same pesos.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum