• Advertisement

Cub Cadet, LT-1046 Riding tractor mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Cub Cadet, LT-1046 Riding tractor mower

Postby jwales » Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm

So a co-worker brought over his rider (that was a hand me down) to check it out and see if I could get it running. wheeled it into my garage and turn the wheel, click click and wheels wont turn....
After looking under the thing it appears that a gear at the end of the steering column is not fully engaging with the half moon plate with teeth and connected to the tie rods. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a week point in this machine of was it severly abuse??
I think I can replace these two parts WITHOUT pulling the engine off. I would like to understand how/why this happened instead of just replacing the parts and sending it out the door only to have it come back in a couple years for the same thing.

I have the engine running well and Hydro works well. Have the deck off and thinking about putting a new belt on and sharpening the blades IF I can fix the steering issue.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.
Joe
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Cub Cadet, LT-1046 Riding tractor mower

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

pop the steering shaft out and replace the worn out bearing,usually does the trick , if teeth are too badly worn may have to replace steering shaft and/or sector gear (the half moon gear)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 am

"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jwales » Fri May 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. Based on the number of U tube videos it appears that this is a common problem. The gear on the steering shaft also looked worn in the middle so I decided to replace it as well. Easy fix and all works well.
Thanks again, Joe
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum