• Advertisement

Oil filter brand?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Oil filter brand?

Postby hanz63 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 am

In my shop I use OEM Briggs, Kohler , large Kawasaki filters on their respective machines. I think it if anything besides having the quality of the OEMS not being questioned- it just looks better to the customer. The exception has been the small 49065-7010 filters. I use some OEM, but also a couple shop packs of the OEP. This year, I've had 2 leakers this year and 1 last. All had been on a while , from a month to one almost a year. The OEP filter uses a much less substantial seal.
So overall, what does everyone use for filters and also specifically for the 49065-7010 ?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Oil filter brand?

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 25, 2018 3:17 am

Personally I have been filters from my Sunbelt Outdoors distributor for 9 yrs without problems. I haven't tried the Oregon filters. The only OEM filters that I use is the Kubota ones for the UTVs which I seldom need.

As to what I use for the Kawasaki it is the Sunbelt filter.

Now normally I am avoiding aftermarket now; unless, I know they are good as in the last couple years as many of the vendors are just buying cheapest things they can. I had problems with an aftermarket keyswitch from Oregon that was shorting out coils by applying a low 3vdc to the kill terminal. This week it was a keyswitch that appeared to come from DB Electrical that was hanging straight out of the box. When I took the switch apart to see what was going on I looked as if a kid had put it together with the plastic being ground on to taper it. Totally unacceptable as a stock item for my shop.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 am

Yeah - you do realize most of these filters )air, oil, and fuel) are manufactured by the same handful of companies on the same assembly line .. many of the aftermarket filters are exactly the same , and from the same factory assembly line, as the OEM's I havent done the homework to figure out just how many OEM filter manufacturers there are, but there's certain manufacturing details and processes used on some filters that Ive come to recognize as being from the very same factory or factories , from what I can tell Stens and Oregon appear to source from the same supplier, and I strongly suspect that supplier is also the OEM filter supplier for several of the big-name OE's
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm

The thing that isn't as forgiving on the OEP replacement 83-282 is the fact it uses a round oring seal. Strangely on the mounting surfaces of more that one Kawasaki, it isn't machined perfect. I've seen the similar markings between the Briggs and Kaw filters as well. No doubt that many roll off the same line. Stens equivalent has the flat seal like the OEM. It also has this goofy label oil/transmission filter on it. I like the big Briggs shop packs w/ like 60 filters. I wish Kohler / Kawasaki offered them, or maybe they do and it's a secret.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 am

hanz63 wrote:. I wish Kohler / Kawasaki offered them, or maybe they do and it's a secret.
was my understanding that bulk packs of like 25 were the only way dealers COULD get them - main reason why we never even tried to become kawasaki ASD - we only saw like 8 to 10 kawasakis a YEAR , much less using that many filters.. I thought Kohler had bulk pack program too, might check with your distributor (assuming you're an ASD)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 am

Here is the specs on the Oregon, Stens, and the Sunbelt filters. Don't be throw off by the labeling saying transmission as many transmissions on lawn mowers uses motor oil instead of transmission fluid. As you'll see the Oregon is the lowest quality when comes to filtering level and the Sunbelt is the highest of the three. The pressure relief means where the back pressure from a dirty filter bypasses itself and sends unfiltered oil back to the engine.

Oregon 83-282

Height: 2-7/8"
OD: 2-3/4"
Seal OD: 2-3/4"
Mounting Thread: 3/4"-16

New smaller OEM version Replaces filter on most Kawasaki engines
Micron: 28
Relief pressure: 8-11 PSI
Anti-drain back valve: Yes

Stens 120-634

Thread: 3/4" -16
OD: 2 11/16"
Height: 3"
Micron: 25
Made By: An OEM Supplier , Made in USA
9-12 PSI pressure relief valve
Anti-drain valve

B1OF243

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 26, 2018 7:38 am

KE4AVB wrote:Here is the specs on the Oregon, Stens, and the Sunbelt filters.
And after that fiasco with belt specs, you're gonna trust what their specs say? I'd much rather get specs from the actual filter supplier - I Strongly suspect the Stens supplier for some of those (and many OEM's) is Fram, Baldwin, and/or Fleetguard (Look to country of origin may help narrow it down a bit) but a lot of the aftermarket (and many low-end OEM's) are coming out of China.

Most of the Stens filters I have left have "Made in USA" on the box, while most the Oregon filters I just looked at say "Made in China" Briggs OE Filters I looked at will vary,some say Made in USA, some say Made in India, and a few are made in China.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 am

All my filters are label as Made in the USA that Sunbelt have supplied me so far so the specs should be right.

As for the belt problems I had it was after Sunbelt switched an India belt supplier and Yes I stop buying belts from Sunbelt and A&I (Same group just different marketing names, they even answer the phone as A&I); instead I am currently buying direct from Stens. I will see how that works out before I need to go back OEM belts. And of course most us know how picky MTDs can be about what belts you use. It like the Stens 5/8 x 35.25 belts will not work for me instead I am using a 5/8 x 35.5 belt.

I am still working out my old stock which I do check every time I before install one now so if one is off I will order replacement stock.

Talking about fiascos I just ordered a 55-1016 (SSW2838 (DD ELectrical supplied switch) from TEW and it was hanging. I took it a part and it looked like a kid had assembly it and when the parts didn't they filed them until they did. Last year it was a Oregon switch that shorting out ignition coils on an opposed engine due a voltage leakage of 3 vdc.

Then there was those Rotary spindles that ordered for Cub Cadet late last year because I was in a hurry and didn't want to rebuild the ones as a couple bolts were already broken off. A total of six spindles were tried and all of them had the blade sitting 1/4" too high and there was a lot end play. I finally brought a drill press and rebuilt the old spindles.

So everyone has been sending out junk lately if it is an aftermarket part or at least that what has been happening here. It is enough to me want to quit.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

Yeah the aftermarket parts problem is increasing not only in selection,but also lack of quality consistency - Used to sell a lot of aftermarket alternative parts - carb kits, filters, spark plugs,and more .. the last few years, quality control has gone down the toilet though and keep seeing failed new parts (breakage,leaks, decomposition, etc) and have been moving those back to using OEM parts - One example I can think of is rubber straps for MTD rear bagger attachment , they are about $10 from MTD, and about $3 from Oregon or Stens... Then they started having a rash of failures (1 in 5 would fail prematurely) , so I only offer the OEM MTD ones any more - they have never had premature failure as yet, I sell fewer,make less profit, but have far fewer time-consuming warranty claims or adjustments to deal with.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

I sure agree on the variance in quality on (mostly aftermarket) parts. Not just OPE parts, big time in automotive parts too. I don't get a real good deal on Kawasaki code 1 parts. Not horrible either. The strange thing is that my distributor being an MTD distributor will sell you the same filter through that side for like a buck or so cheaper- just by adding a KM to the Kaw number. Much of the air filters are a better deal than aftermarket that way. I think that I may fill in with Stens and never order the OEP version again. It's like OEP belts. Can't stand them. I like the Stens belts pretty well, Rotary next best. OEP air filters, good stuff. Even present themselves better than OEM Briggs. I suppose I could ask for deal from the Deere dealer on filter shop packs and use their aftermarket....
Over the years we all seem to develop our preferences on certain parts. It could be an idea for parts forum. I'll use OEM on certain things as aftermarket quality is so sketchy on an item and I never look back. But, sometimes thing change.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum