• Advertisement

Beating a Dead Horse Fuel Stabilizers ?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Beating a Dead Horse Fuel Stabilizers ?

Postby rrrhre2s » Sat May 26, 2018 8:53 am

I have noticed that some 2 cycle oil contains fuel stabilizers.

What if this oil is used with gasoline containing stabilizers ?

I have seen where too much stabilizer can cause "Yellow Snot Deposits" (YSD for Short) that is worse to remove than just bad gas.

This "YSD" plugs up the passages particularity in 2 cycle carbs.

The "YSD" is very plastic like and I have not found a solvent that will remove it from the "carb" mechanical means only seems to work, but not always.

I think some people think some stabilizer is good twice as much is better, Not SO !!

Some people wait until they have problems then add excessive amount of a fuel conditioner to try and cure the problem.

What is your experience ?

rrrhre2s
rrrhre2s

Advertisement

Re: Beating a Dead Horse Fuel Stabilizers ?

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am

I don't about this but I have already a couple case of straight fuel engines coming with stuff that is very hard to remove. I just one yesterday that the stuff looked like miniature jelly beans.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat May 26, 2018 10:12 pm

We had complaints about Briggs and Stratton's Advanced Fuel Stabilizer leaving a film that wouldn't wash off. It was actually a corrosion inhibitor.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:04 pm

I've not seen a film left from a stabilizer unless they've used way too much. In the more is better theory having someone kill their WPM carb with red Stabil. Dyed it red and it wouldn't clean. I've sold / used the Briggs Advanced and the Starbrite and haven't seen any results like that fortunately . I use either additive with my Stihl synthetic and have for years. For folks that tend to have fuel issues, I give them the stabilizer speech and also tell them to run the equipment up for 5 minutes once a month to cycle the fuel through the carb. I've not seen a stabilizer that keeps fuel fresh looking in carburetors.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Mon May 28, 2018 9:08 am

I think some people think some stabilizer is good twice as much is better, Not SO !!

This reminds me of a conversation I had with the Service Manager of Victa mowers around the time that unleaded fuel was introduced over here in the UK. Vita's two-stroke engines were practically unburstable and their machines together with Lawnboys were favoured by local authorities and contractors - a/ because of their ability to work on slopes but b/ because an unskilled/unthinking operator could be given a can of correctly mixed fuel and sent mowing with no need to check the oil - all day!

All of a sudden they were having engine troubles - mainly with domestic users. It transpired that spooked by tales of problems with unleaded fuel, people were adding an extra dose of mixing oil - just for good measure. The net result of this was that for any given volume of mix there was more oil and LESS petrol (sorry, gas) and with the fixed jet Victa carb this was creating a weaker mixture in fuel to air terms and a hotter running engine. This, in turn, was leading to overheating and seizures.

Another interesting point that arose from that conversation was that although the official gas to oil mix was 25: 1, Victa were, experimentally running them at 60:1
with no ill effects - providing the oil quality was to spec and accurate measuring. No room for user error!!.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue May 29, 2018 5:12 am

I used to see the red goo from Sta-Bil when people used too much. Most dopes today don't bother and just bring me the same machines year after year and listening to me try to tell em....
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum