• Advertisement

Bum 398188 float valves?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Bum 398188 float valves?

Postby hanz63 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 pm

I feel like a high school kid at the bench. 3 in a row on 2 different carbs that the seats seemed too small and wouldn't fit snug in the bore. Leaked. The first one I gave up after 2 and put a Tecumseh seat in and tweaked the float to make it leaking. Did I just forget how???" :bricks:
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Bum 398188 float valves?

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Bore for the viton seat is a stepped bore - seat drops in easy til the last bit to the bottom then its a very tight fit to press it in properly and difficult to get it started squarely - Briggs has guide driver tool they use to install those seats , I forget the tool part number..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Or do as I do and use an invert drill bit slightly small than the seat OD and push the seat in making sure you install in the correct direction. As BGS said the hole is stepped right before the seat bottoms out.

So far I haven't seen of seats that did not fit but I tend to use after market seats and needle valves.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

I use the Tecumseh tool plus if I feel it needs an extra nudge, I have a shorter homemade brass one that I flip around push against the bench to ensure that it is in. My normal MO is to hit the seat with a quick spray of safe lube . After that failed, I cleaned / blew it out and tried again. Maybe the bore was too corroded to go all the way in, though level looked right.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum