• Advertisement

Bow Tie vs Rue Ring Cotters (clips)

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Bow Tie vs Rue Ring Cotters (clips)

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Just wondering how everyone is liking the Rue Ring Cotters vs the Bow Tie Cotters? To me both are a pain to remove and install. So far I have only seen the Rue Rings on John Deere products and they are about twice as expensive to buy in bulk.

I see one benefit for the Rue Rings and that is the manual lock ability preventing easy removal during operation.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Bow Tie vs Rue Ring Cotters (clips)

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Oooh cool- they have names! I like them better than standard pins, doesn't matter which one I use. You know really, those cheapo one loop clips on the front of the old ayp / the ones the Murrays had were as good as anything. Have a great source? I tend to order the standard ones from OEP and the OEM HOP or MTD whens I need them. Speaking of which, the key rings that Kubota use seem antiquated, but they stay on I guess.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes I got source for them but you got to order the Bow Ties in lots of 100 and Rue Ring in lots of 50. Now if you need the small ones that MTD uses then you can order 71404040-50 which is a bag of 50 for around $13 plus shipping.

Now the source for various other sizes in both style does a fairly steep shipping charge but the cost of the cotters more than make for the higher shipping cost. I can send you the spec sheets and the web address of the source if you PM me your email address.

As for myself I ordered some of the .072 and .091 versions of the bow ties as I already got a 100 of the MTD 71404040. I would have order some the Rue Ring but I got to wait until the next JD with comes in so I can get the right sizes. No point in paying JD $4 ea for them when they are 20.00 for 50 of them; some are higher as they are larger. I just combine an order of different to reduce the overall shipping per item cost.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:32 am

For those that don't know how to install and remove the Rue Ring cotter. Although not shown if manual lock is used it must be switch back to automatic lock so removal is possible without destroy the cotter.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am

used to use a different locking style from either of those on the go-kart stuff.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum