• Advertisement

Old Briggs 3 HP water pump- Question on crankshaft

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Old Briggs 3 HP water pump- Question on crankshaft

Postby creia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am

Can someone tell me what the PTO shaft is like on an old Briggs water pump from the early 1970s? That is to say, is it tapered (like a generator), stepped, or straight and keyed (which is what I want), and what would be the length? We have a need for just the engine and i have the opportunity to purchase one on a water pump locally. Thank you in advance.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Old Briggs 3 HP water pump- Question on crankshaft

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:03 am

We the engine numbers to even try to look up the crankshaft specs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:13 am

creia wrote:Can someone tell me what the PTO shaft is like on an old Briggs water pump from the early 1970s? That is to say, is it tapered (like a generator), stepped, or straight and keyed (which is what I want), and what would be the length? We have a need for just the engine and i have the opportunity to purchase one on a water pump locally. Thank you in advance.

Water pumps commonly had threaded shafts (usually left hand) which the impeller threaded onto directly,really depends on the pump, but with engine model and type number, you can look up the original crankshaft part number and then find the crankshaft drawings for it to find out.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am

Likely 5/8" threaded.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 am

Thank you all for the replies. I have requested the engine numbers from the seller. For our needs we want a straight crank that has a keyway cut into it. While it is not necessarily a deal breaker with a threaded or tapered crank end (we could swap it out) it will effect what we will pay for the engine/pump.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:49 pm

UPDATE:
Here are the engine numbers"
Model = 80232
Type = 0508-02
Code = 73012903

From what I know about deciphering these numbers this is a 3HP horizontal-shaft engine, with a "Pulsa-Jet" carb, flange-mounted ball bearing crank, with a rewind starter, built in 1973. Is there anything in the numbers that can tell me about the crank end? (I.e., straight, tapered, threaded) and diameter (5/8" or 3/4"). Thank you for any help!
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Briggs has the replacement engine having>

PTO Shaft Diameter 0.625 (5/8)
PTO Shaft Length 2.422
PTO Threads 0.625-18 UNF

if this helps.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Briggs has the replacement engine having>

PTO Shaft Diameter 0.625 (5/8)
PTO Shaft Length 2.422
PTO Threads 0.625-18 UNF

if this helps.

Thank you KE4AVB,
Since posting the engine numbers I went to PartsTree.com, plugged in the engine numbers and found the parts diagram for this engine which includes the actual OEM Briggs parts numbers. I then took the part numbers for the crankshaft(492095 and 260182) and searched them on Ebay. All of the cranks that came up with those numbers showed a straight crankshaft with a THREADED end. All of you gents were exactly correct- AGAIN! (No surprise) I still may purchase the engine/water pump if I can get it cheap enough, and I will swap out the crank for a good used one with a slotted keyway.
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum