• Advertisement

Online IPLs Problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Online IPLs Problems

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 am

Anyone else is seeing what I have been seeing lately going with online parts lookups? I have been having problems with IPLs not being correct or simply disappearing from the net.

Things like parts not even being listed. Or in the case of my personal mower completely not even listed for its year model.

Then there is parts labeled as something else or wrong parts listed like a Customer's Huskee that has wrong muffler showed and listed for his machine.

And then there one vendor of mine that when you use their parts lookup to get cross references of part numbers of after market parts a blade might listed as a carburetor, an engine, a transmission, or a screw.

Just frustrating as heck when you depend on these being right. Just wondering if the companies intentionally trying to screw things up to kill off the older equipment.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Online IPLs Problems

Postby 38racing » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 am

I had to try 3 different ipls to find the engine pulley for an mtd model.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

Yeah.. ARI is notorious for errors and taking forever to fix them. I often have to log in to the dealer portal ,or refer to old paper or PDF Scans to find the correct parts. It's just as bad as with aftermarket catalogs that cross reference incorrectly... and sometimes you have to get creative and find a known part number that you know is unique to a particular fitment, then look up a parts catalog for a different model that also uses the same part, to find the actual part you are looking for. Partly that reason that I don't think dealerships will ever really go away, and a parts manager that knows his way around would be worth his weight in gold to a bigger dealership.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Or be smart enough to write a part number of an item that you ran across few years ago. Plus it doesn't hurt to ask others too that may have done the same. ;)

I just repaired the Troybilt 4C trimmer that had lost its starter pawls. These pawls are bad to get lost easily too. You know they don't list them in the IPLs; wanting you to buy the short block. I was just luckily enough to recongize them from another MTD trimmer that I had to the kit for a couple years ago and had noted them in my inventory file on my accounting system.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 pm

[quote]I just repaired the Troybilt 4C trimmer that had lost its starter pawls. These pawls are bad to get lost easily too. You know they don't list them in the IPLs; wanting you to buy the short block. I was just lucky enough to recognize them from another MTD trimmer that I had to the kit for a couple years ago and had noted them in my inventory file on my accounting system.
/quote]

I've got "little black books" going back 30 years that are a great "get out of trouble" resource. Some advantages of being an old school pen and paper ............!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum