• Advertisement

Onan Generator question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Onan Generator question

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Anyone know where I might get a parts list on an Onan generator, believe it's out of a motor home. Mod. 4BGEFA26100F, ser. F880126844 Thank you in advance. Was looking for a ignition coil primarily but I can't find a diagram...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Onan Generator question

Postby RoyM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Thank you very much for the link!

This is the scenario. Customer gets this generator, plays with it...says it would run on starter fluid to the carb but wouldn't draw any fuel. Wanted me to take carb apart, clean which I did. He puts in a switch for the fuel pump, puts one lead on positive side of coil to get power and grounds other side. Fuel pump works perfectly. However, now there is no spark at all. I check 12v at the positive terminal of coil and I also get 12v at the negative pole but still no spark when I turn over the engine. Any guesses out there?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:43 pm

Did you disconnect the pump then check for spark? What was his reasoning for adding the switch? If he wants it for shutting the fuel off to run the carb dry for the off season he should power it from the accessory side of the ignition switch.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:10 am

Is the 12V switching on the coil's negative terminal as the engine rotates; otherwords, is the points opening and closing? Also they to making good contact. They to be clean and fully closing an opening at the spec gap. [.0.016 in. (0.41 mm)].
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 am

Thank you...I haven't tried that yet...I posted this last night...will check this morning. Thank you.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:49 am

I just talked with the owner again...he says he was getting spark when he had his switch hooked up to the positive terminal of the coil. For some reason he changed the hot wire to the negative side and he stated that he no longer got the engine to fire at all! That pretty much means he fried the coil I guess...damn!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 pm

May have not...As current would steady through the coil thus no surge to generate spark. At it wasn't straight to ground continuously as the fuel pump would provide a current limiting load.

Now he left this with power on continuously then he may have fried the coil.

I send you a link to the service manual that is on my G drive via PM.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:20 pm

KE4AVB wrote:May have not...As current would steady through the coil thus no surge to generate spark. At it wasn't straight to ground continuously as the fuel pump would provide a current limiting load.

Now he left this with power on continuously then he may have fried the coil.

I send you a link to the service manual that is on my G drive via PM.

I don't know how long he left the power on the negative terminal...I assume for a bit seeing as you would have had to tighten the nut for it and he tried to start it after that with absolutely no spark at all. He then changed the wire back to positive side and no spark then either! And, I looked at the wiring...he has the power from the positive side of the solenoid to the positive side of the coil. So, the negative side of the coil certainly would have gotten quite a jolt from a fresh battery I would think!?
I ordered a new coil but it looks different than the one on the generator...Onan 166-0772 Ignition Coil.

Actually, I haven't ordered the coil yet...KE4AVB, thank you for the manual! I'm going to check the coil for resistance first...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Just removed coil, supposed to have 3.87-4.73 ohms on primary...this one is about 6 ohms. Secondaries are supposed to be between 34-41.6 ohms, this one is infinity!
dart451
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum