• Advertisement

Craftsman Tractor 917.203901 Forward/Reverse sticking

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Tractor 917.203901 Forward/Reverse sticking

Postby dart451 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I was hoping someone out there came up with a unique and easy way to fix this little problem with the General Transmissions RS800P transaxle but I guess everyone else is struggling with this new setup also! Funny, the youtube video I posted shows cleaning the area below the variator with a screw driver and WALLA, the stupid thing shifts fine again! I'm gonna try to use my high pressure air hose to see if I can break some of the debris loose...wish me luck! lol
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:37 pm

dart451 wrote:I was hoping someone out there came up with a unique and easy way to fix this little problem with the General Transmissions RS800P transaxle but I guess everyone else is struggling with this new setup also! Funny, the youtube video I posted shows cleaning the area below the variator with a screw driver and WALLA, the stupid thing shifts fine again! I'm gonna try to use my high pressure air hose to see if I can break some of the debris loose...wish me luck! lol

Looking at the IPL that one is quite a layout. I wish you luck. ;)

In your owners manual, pg 24 the clutching idler B has to move freely and easily. (owners manual is a free download from sears parts direct if you don't have one)

The mower similar to yours that had the clutching issues I mentioned, the clutch idler pulley bracket was not swiveling freely and the clutch idler spring was not a strong spring.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:43 am

I believe you going to need to bite the bullet and pull the transaxle to get things done. The first time doing this will the hardest but if you it again it will go faster. It like dropping any of the other transaxles I do but I have learn it is actually easier to do repairs when you do instead trying to take shortcuts. Sometimes trying shortcuts just wastes a lot time.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Arkie wrote:
dart451 wrote:I was hoping someone out there came up with a unique and easy way to fix this little problem with the General Transmissions RS800P transaxle but I guess everyone else is struggling with this new setup also! Funny, the youtube video I posted shows cleaning the area below the variator with a screw driver and WALLA, the stupid thing shifts fine again! I'm gonna try to use my high pressure air hose to see if I can break some of the debris loose...wish me luck! lol

Looking at the IPL that one is quite a layout. I wish you luck. ;)

In your owners manual, pg 24 the clutching idler B has to move freely and easily. (owners manual is a free download from sears parts direct if you don't have one)

The mower similar to yours that had the clutching issues I mentioned, the clutch idler pulley bracket was not swiveling freely and the clutch idler spring was not a strong spring.

I do have Sears Parts Direct but I don't know where to find the manual!? I can find the parts breakdown for the tractor but I see no manual or for the transaxle...where do I find that Arkie?

I think you're right KE4ABV, probably gonna have to pull the tranny on this one...by the way, do you have an average labor time for pulling tranny and remounting one?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:44 pm

The is on this page https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917203901/0247/1509200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=917.203901&searchTerm=917.203901

Now for me I can't access SearsPartsDirect unless I am using Microsoft's Internet Explorer as for some Firefox has problems with Sears' website.

As for the transaxle manual, the only manual I know of is the service manual that I earlier referred you to in the downloads forum.

It only me about a half hour to 45 minutes to remove and reinstall one but that doesn't count for inspections and repairs. I actually can one those MTD single out and back in under 30 mins as it takes a time to get the tools out. Luckily most times on the MTDs it a partial pull as I several belt replacement each month.

It sorta doing a Cam Am ATV rear end. The first I pulled one it took me most of the day figuring out how to get it out and a week I pulled the same read end out and put back in under 1 hour including reclocking the drive shaft. I had replace the u-joints and I left the drive shaft clocked the way it came in. Apparently a previous repair was done to it as that when got out of clock.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Thank you KE4AVB! I did get it to work a little better by blowing air on top of the tranny with my compressor...if it gets worse, the customer will bring it back and knows it will be a bigger job...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Well then you made progress as what is causing the problem and I will keep it in mind if I ever get one these tranaxle back in. I did buy the driven nut tool so it is sitting out in the shop getting dust right now. I know the day will come when I see these transaxles in my shop but it takes time for it to happen. Of course I heard of the K46 axle breakage but didn't see one in the 9 yrs until last Summer.

If you run a small shop as I do people are afraid to come to you. I have been at my current for 4 yrs and I had a new to just stop in that has been passing me up for those 4 yrs and going to Husqvarna dealers for repairs. I had them to just bring the worst things they can bring just to see if I am any good. I even had one bring his rider mower in the back of his in multiple boxes. Now he did complain that I charged him $50 to put it back together. What an el cheapo he was.

Maybe when I get my Briggs MST things will improve somewhat. I just got find time when my head isn't hurting so much so I can keep my mind straight to take the tests.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:30 pm

You may already have this, but this is where I seen the owners manual info, using internet explorer.

The first link is where you can chose the free owners manual and the second is link to a direct download.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model- ... 09200.html

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsd ... rts-manual

Anyone have any idea/opinion about how long it might be before Sears parts direct folds? (along with sears)

I do not buy any parts from them, but end up at the site looking quite often.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Here is info for obtaining free download for Tecumseh/Peerless Service info for their transmissions/transaxles.

I did not look for that one in this, but this is good to have on file for future reference for other models.

For example I found the model in this Peerless Service Manual and reviewed before starting and took 3 transaxles awhile back as a winter project and made one good one without too much pain. Some of the bushings and bearing were dirt cheap from flea bay.

Transmissions used in several lawn tractors.

Search Tecumseh/Peerless Motion Drive Systems to download the Peerless Service Manual for their transmissions

Cannot post a direct download link because it won't link to the manual using internet explorer, shows error.

think I downloaded the pdf from mymowerparts.com as one of the browser search choices.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Arkie we need tried to stick what actually is use on this mower as to not confuse Dart.

Arkie that info would be fine except the transaxle used on this model is a General Transmissions (actual manufacture name) RS800P and there is also a RS800F version. P = pedal controlled; F= fender fender lever control. I do have the manual available in the downloads forum. They are also available through General Transmissions website.

The biggest part of the Tecumseh/Peerless transaxles were manual with the exception of the VST hydro. Craftsman mower also use MTD single speed, Dana, Splicer, Hydro Gear, and Tuff Torq so whenever you or anyone else needs parts or help it is best to know which transaxle you're working with to even get the right service manual.

As for when Sears might fold who knows but I hope someone can fill in if this happens as there is a lot of the Craftsman mowers out there.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum