• Advertisement

Generac iQ2000 Inverter

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Generac iQ2000 Inverter

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Mower man maybe this article will help explain what is going here as there is apparently current phasing going on.

https://www.electronicdesign.com/energy/what-s-difference-between-watts-and-volt-amperes
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Mower man maybe this article will help explain what is going here as there is apparently current phasing going on.

https://www.electronicdesign.com/energy/what-s-difference-between-watts-and-volt-amperes

So after reading this, it seems like VA is the more useful unit of measurement for my purposes, isn't it? However, I'm confused why there is a wattage rating of 1600 on this generator if fewer than 500 Watts is going to max it out (over 14 amps though). The more I read, the more I realize I don't know.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 pm

I am not sure where you are getting 500 watts. 14A x 120VAC = 1680 watts or VA which is just another symbol for watts.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:31 am

RoyM wrote:I am not sure where you are getting 500 watts. 14A x 120VAC = 1680 watts or VA which is just another symbol for watts.

True if it was a pure DC circuit but you're are dealing with AC.

In AC circuits the apparent load flowing through the wiring can be different than actual wattage used. Your are still using the same total wattage but just at different times. It has to do with the phasing of the current caused by inductive and capacitive loads. In DC circuits loads that are inductive, capacitive, or resistive doesn't matter as all the current use by each is in phase but in AC circuit that lagging and leading currents cause by the inductance and capacitance comes into play. Since the frequency of the AC voltage the phasing of the inductive and capacitive load stays the same. Basically inductive and capacitive are out phase by <=90 degrees. In inductive loads current lags voltage and in capacitive loads the current leads the voltage. This how you can use a smaller wire size than if it was a DC circuit. This why you can use a smaller neutral wire in 240vac as you have two legs that are 180 degrees out phase. If the load on each leg are exactly same the current flowing through neutral is effectively half. On top of that the current and voltage can be at even given moment be at max, zero, or anywhere in between the two extremes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am

RoyM wrote:I am not sure where you are getting 500 watts. 14A x 120VAC = 1680 watts or VA which is just another symbol for watts.

That's what I was confused about too. I was getting those numbers straight from the Kill-A-Watt meter. The watts and VA were completely different values on the meter.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum