• Advertisement

Brush cutter blade on a string trimmer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Brush cutter blade on a string trimmer?

Postby Mr Mower Man » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:06 pm

A customer just brought me a Cub Cadet ST1475 trimmer that he bought used for $50. It's a 4-stroke model that looks like you can put different types of attachments on the end. It just has the trimmer attachment now. Runs just fine, but he would like to have a brush cutter blade on it sometimes. I couldn't find any brushcutter attachment (or any other attachment, for that matter) that could be used with this model. So, I found out that I can get an aftermarket brush cutter blade, but I don't know if I should try to put one in place of the trimmer head. Is the engine strong enough? Is it safe? Would you guys try something like this?
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Brush cutter blade on a string trimmer?

Postby bgsengine » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Brushcutter blade not good for a direct driven curved shaft, gonna break the drive shaft .If it has a gearbox (typically straight shaft) then can put a blade on them,but then you got liability issues. At the very least requires a barrier bar to reduce kickback into the operator , and should have a steel debris shield.

You might sell them on a plastic blade head such as Echo's Maxi-Cut , replaceable plastic blades and they can handle most brush (but not trees)

If the original parts catalog or owners manual does not show accessory kits for it,I would not put a steel brush blade on any machine.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Doesn't direct drive straight shafts either once the blade starts to oscillate only shutting down the powerhead will stop it.

Need the model number off the serial number tag should start with 41 as I don't see anything listed under ST1475.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

KE4AVB wrote:
Need the model number off the serial number tag should start with 41 as I don't see anything listed under ST1475.

Sorry, it's a 41CDC47C912. It's a straight shaft. Still thinking putting a brush cutter blade on it isn't the best idea though.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am

There is likely no brushcutter attachment available, the unit does not have the necessary power or durability
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Cub Cadet BC720
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum