• Advertisement

Honda mower can't get the choke to work??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda mower can't get the choke to work??

Postby dart451 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Have a Honda 160 engine, HRT2162TDA ser.MZCG-6708424 and it runs fine but I cannot seem to figure out how to get the choke to work. When I pull the throttle forward to choke, the choke mechanism hits the bar that chokes the carburetor and then stops but the throttle continues to move. The outside stops when the inside continues... I can move the bottom choke lever to choke the carb but it won't push the bar with the throttle cable! Here is a video to show what I'm talking about...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuMJf-zgYg&feature=youtu.be
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Honda mower can't get the choke to work??

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:50 am

IIRC correctly as I only done this once this Spring it will take some bending adjustments to the control unit to get the choke to fully close but it is easier to replace the control unit. Especially for test purposes if you have donor engine on hand.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 am

I've tried to bend the tab that strikes the bottom choke lever but it still won't push the lever. You're probably right...it needs a new control unit...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Mechanic's error! When I put the new carburetor on, I put the choke linkage in the wrong hole in the carburetor! It has to go in the hole closest to the motor! Works like a champ now! Thank you for all your input! Found the fix on Youtube.com! Go figure!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Then question is "Did you learn not to do it again?" :lol: It happens and you feel so dumb when you find what you had done. That putting on a new chainsaw chain and can't it to cut. After taking a closer look you see had put the chain on backwards. :bricks: Been there and done that one then one time too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Wow KE4AVB, first mistake this year! lol Course, my wife has a different tally! And yes, I think I learned not to do it again! I think this is the only customer that even has a Honda mower! And, I document everything I do in the invoices that I print up in Quickbooks.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Boy I haven't used Quickbooks in so long that I have forgotten even how it works. Here I have been running Adminsoft with Auto-manager for the last 4 yrs. I don't have any reason to run the Cafe manager though. Just wish it had US payroll but I don't payroll as I am an one person shop.

With Auto manager it keep a detail log of my previous jobs so I can easily go back on a piece of equipment history to see what I have done to it in the past. It also keeps a live inventory as long as I keep things entered as received or used.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum