• Advertisement

H-L Limiters Walbro Carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

H-L Limiters Walbro Carb

Postby dennis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm

I have an 18 year old Stihl 029 chainsaw. Would like to clean the carb, but not sure how to remove limiter caps on Hi lo screws This particular saw has a Walbro HD 18B carb. The Hi Lo screws sit in a recessed area and do not stick out. The red limiter caps are flush with the back of the recessed area, There is a tiny slot next to each screw. Before I just start unscrewing and snapping these, any suggestions?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: H-L Limiters Walbro Carb

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 pm

The following depends if someone has screw them up or not.

Normally looking down the slot [using an light] beside the caps you line up the tab and using an extractor like the 2.5mm Echo limiter cap tool pull them out. If they are screwed up them then have fun working them out. The 029 super here they were a complete mess and had to be dug out. The Echo tool is basically a long bottom screw tap except it is LH instead RH.

If you're just needing to adjust the mixture then you only need to out enough to disengage mixture screws. With partially extracted you use small straight side flat screwdriver that fits through the hole to make the adjustments.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Thank KE4AVB.....it is a 029 super.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Max. permissible engine speed with bar and chain: 13,000 r.p.m. If exceeding this tune a little rich to slow down.

Mean idle speed: 2,700 r.p.m. Chain clutch engages at 3,500 rpms so if you get the speed down below this with the LA then also tune it on the rich side to slow down.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks KE4AVB for rpm tuning info. Before it got hard to start, I noticed that it was getting hard to pull the starter rope, especially with choke closed. Any idea what could cause this?
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 am

I would think it would a worn out recoil assembly though it be a carbon buildup in the cylinder top end.

Dennis also see my PM to you.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum