• Advertisement

AYP adjustable drag link

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

AYP adjustable drag link

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:04 am

I'm dealing with a Husqvarna lawn tractor, like so many of them (and lower end John Deere's), that has some wear throughout the steering system, and the front wheels are both toed out slightly. They don't steer very effectively this way, and it's always more stress on the front wheels and spindles (I've seen the clips break that hold the front wheels on). You can just watch the inside wheel just being dragged on the ground instead of rolling like it should. And it wears off the tread on the tires too. This problem could easily be solved if the OEM would simply use an adjustable drag link on one side, so that it could be shortened to compensate for the wear in all the links. I don't understand why they don't do that. Are they trying to make me buy new wheel spindles, drag links, and sector gear to get it to handle like it did on day one? This is ridiculous.

Anyway, the model number on the one I have in the shop now is 96045003501, and the drag links are either 532194740 or 532194741. I'd like to find an adjustable version of either one of these drag links so I can offer to fix the steering and be a miracle worker for all my customers who own this junk. How do you guys deal with these? I know you've seen 'em.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: AYP adjustable drag link

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:38 am

yeah. most customers are too cheap. Some can be fixed with bushings in the front axle,new front axles, new links, new steering bushings, etc, but no adjustments. Had one customer that fixed it himself with an oxyacetylene torch to bend the drag link a bit.. but most are too cheap to be bothered with it.. long as it runs and cuts grass they don't care. (which is why they bought that cheapo box store junk in the first place)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 am

Maybe cut the link. Shorten one piece a bit thread the 2 ends and join with a threaded rod connector. Or just cut one end and thread to take a ball joint.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 am

There are adjustable links to replace these.

532409599 LH
532409600 RH

Another option is if you have a hydraulic press is the re-bend the current drag links by increasing or straightening the links bends as needed to get the correct toe but first you make sure have good wheel bushings/Bearling and spindle bushings in the axle assembly. Note if going by either method you need to reset the steering center on the steering shaft if you only do one side. Personally I do both sides as to have the same turning radius both left and right.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:29 am

I'm going to recommend replacing one of these drag links with the adjustable version you found for me. I'm thinking one side will do the trick, and if the steering wheel is slightly off center, the customer won't notice or care if he does notice. I see that Rotary has these as well. Thanks!
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:20 pm

38racing wrote:Maybe cut the link. Shorten one piece a bit thread the 2 ends and join with a threaded rod connector. Or just cut one end and thread to take a ball joint.

Oops I was thinking cross link .
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:03 pm

No matter. I spoke to the customer today, and even though he had noticed the difficult steering, he didn't want to pay to correct it. Brian called it. :lol:
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Mr Mower Man wrote:No matter. I spoke to the customer today, and even though he had noticed the difficult steering, he didn't want to pay to correct it. Brian called it. :lol:

Oh they change their mine once they need to buy two new tires because they are bald; therefore sliding in turns plus they may need to replace the bushings because thrust side are worn thru.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Mr Mower Man wrote:No matter. I spoke to the customer today, and even though he had noticed the difficult steering, he didn't want to pay to correct it. Brian called it. :lol:

Oh they change their mine once they need to buy two new tires because they are bald; therefore sliding in turns plus they may need to replace the bushings because thrust side are worn thru.

Usually by that time they already ran the deck into the ground , its rusted out, cobbled up and eating belts.. or they got used tires off an old junker a friend had laying around (3 times a year at least I have someone stop by looking for used tires) or they just got a new one on sale at wal-mart and left the old one sitting there to rust out of the 20 or so times this year I have had people ask about tires (I even had them in stock and marked down to dealer cost a couple times) , not a single one sold.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 pm

Believe it or not I have sold several tires this Summer and a pair of draglinks. Of all things they were Carlisle tires and not a el cheapo tire brand. I also rework one set of draglinks on a John Rider. It had over 2" of toe out. I do sell more tubes than tires. I just got in another 20 18-950 x 8 tubes. Boy do I hate tire slime and those tire plugs that don't seal. The last tire it was in the rubber was like jelly. The operators just can't stop running over Bradford pear limbs with their thorns. I usually just boot the tire if one of those plugs is it after I remove the plug and install a tube.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum