• Advertisement

Rust removal.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Rust removal.

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Well I just did my first electrolysis rust removal using my solar panel. Surprisingly went well in under 5 hours with partially cloudy conditions.

Before Pics.

After pic before painting.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Rust removal.

Postby hanz63 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:42 am

That's pretty cool. You could post your set up. I like the idea of the solar panel. I've done the old battery charger /rebar / washing soda thing in the past. Happy Labor Day!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:28 pm

It is something me and the guys over on OutdoorKing have been discussing. It start out with Mowerfreak doing his first Molasses bath and we got into the electrolysis method. From there they start discussing using washing soda. Just the plain molasses bath wa taking up to a month where applying the electrolysis to it things can get it done less than 24 hrs.

Now I haven't tried neither the molasses or washing soda in this process so their results are unknown to me.

On my end I have seen some results using just a white vinegar bath on carburetors removing rust so I decide that since vinegar is an acid it could be used as a electrolyte. My first attempt was a governor/oil slinger and it did well. The shroud was my second experiment of a larger scale.

My set is basically a 5 gallon bucket with enough 5% strength white vinegar that is commonly available in grocery stores. Many home canners use it in place of the apple cider vinegar. As far the electrical is the same washing soda method with positive on the anode which can be what ever steel bolt, rod, or other object you have handy; just don't use your good stuff. Of the negative attaches to the item being clean which is the cathode. My solar panel is rated @ 60 watts and I am producing a current of 1.4 amps or greater [depends on the electrolyte strength]. The current might be higher if I was something beside the old 5/8 threaded forcing screw I had laying around. You also could multiple anodes connected together too.

Just remember things will flash rust quickly so oiling or painting is needed to be done after rinsing to remove the electrolyte and other residues. Also it will only remove rust and not rust stained paints.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 pm

I've been using electrolysis for several years including the inside of fuel tanks but only on ferrous metals. I sometimes do quite large items so I use a 205 litre plastic drum of water with dissolved washing soda crystals added as the electrolyte with various bits of scrap iron arranged around the inside as anodes . The power source being a normal battery charger.
When cleaning fuel tanks the tank itself id the container for the electrolyte and becomes the negative cathode. The anode id inserted through the tank filler and must be insulated from the tank.
Some pics of tank cleaning
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hblsyp75one8 ... pEoSa?dl=0
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Makes sense to use the tank as the container when cleaning the inside. It just cuts down the waste of the electrolyte. A tank that is not rusted through is my next project but that may be a while as I don't get many of those 3 quart tanks in that the reservoir isn't eaten though. I got some stuff here that I know will not harm aluminum I can weaken and use if I want to try this on some all aluminum items. I use it earlier to eat down a steel bolt (clutch adjustment) that I had remove from an aluminum cover on an ATV engine.

I am currently cleaning a double stack pulley but it is taking a little longer as the clouds keeps reducing my panel's output. I got it mostly cleaned and hopefully can finish up in the morning. Didn't matter how long it was taking today as I had one of my bad headaches and had find a quite dark place and let the meds do their job.

I would have already done the project but the last topical storm clouds just cleared before mid morning but the next wave is supposedly bringing 60% of rain Sunday-Wednesday the coming week. It is the center of the stack that is left as the pulleys themselves are already clean.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum