• Advertisement

Reassembly

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Reassembly

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:59 am

Just wondering how the fellow techs handle customers that take mower their completely apart that then just want detailed reassembly instructions. I just suggested him to load it up and bring into the shop and I charge him shop time plus any additional to do it. Normally I don't handle these anymore as the last one the customer griped to high heaven because I felt sorry for him and only charged $50 to put it back together even though it took all day to do it.

Otherwise he needs to pray for a miracle. ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Reassembly

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:31 am

I'll give em pointers, print out a sheet or two from a service manual, but anything beyond that, they can bring it in,and any missing parts or pieces, they get billed for plus actual time, or more than a couple sheets of printouts, they can buy for a buck a sheet.

I also won't do carb rebuilds over the counter - minimum is 1 hour shop rate, plus parts, which will cost them more than just buy a new carburetor.

I also tell them up front when they buy parts, there's no returns or refunds unless they had full model and serial info and we do parts lookups, AND parts are returned unopened, un-installed, and with sales receipt. (just last week had someone buy a belt and then wanted to trade-in the 3 other belts they bought from other places that didn't fit)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 am

Sounds so familiar they want you to make whole again after their mistakes. I had a few try to sell me their parts that have installed and didn't need even they brought them somewhere else too especially after I find out their electrical problem was .50 electrical connector bad.

Notta going to do that. I can buy the parts at a lower cost from my vendors and I know they are usually good.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:02 am

I would tell them we will put it back together on straight time, no estimates as we had no idea what the original problem was. I also would not give tutorials, I wasn't being paid to teach him how to do my job. The worst one was a V-4 Wisconsin (first one I had seen) in pieces, it had been left outside over winter without a rain cap. He griped about the bill but paid by cheque and left. He called back to tell us his bil the mechanic said it had not been repaired properly and he was cancelling the cheque. Boss met him coming into the bank as he was walking out. We never took another job like that.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 am

Roy I would never have even attempt that repair. He probably lied about a mechanic buddy as if he had why didn't he do the work?

All of us probably had customers the authorize a repair estimate and then to have them refuse the pay the bill. I have three riders sitting and a TB Horse tiller sitting on my yard right now where the owners owner refused the pay the bill. The first person that has the money gets them now. The equipment doesn't leave without payment and those that try the cancelling of a check after they get their machine back are seen in court.

I don't play mind games with them as one customer found a couple years that refused to pay her after delivery of her mower. It ended up costing her more than 3X the original bill to get out of the case. She tried the old it didn't work trick too so the judge asked did I warranty my work which I do and had she even attempted to tell it had a problem which she didn't in the three months that I was asking for payment.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Yep, I too am not afraid to tell a customer "I pass" . I've had them present me with engines that had been split because they wouldn't start and then put back together w/ form a gasket. I had a guy say he knew how to fix his zero, but didn't have time. His fix was taking every electrical connection apart and clean, install oversized primary cabling for sure plus change this and possibly a that and he wanted it done right. My first response was, "what is a good description of the problem and what has been done to the machine thus far to correct it. You may have something more basic going on than you think. " He never would answer me. It is easier to shut the door to me as his money is worth less to me than my reputation.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:37 pm

I know about the RTV mess. I got Lane's pressure washer in the shop now where he removed the carburetor and instead purchasing the needed gaskets RTV everything. It is the second Honda GCV160 of his that been in the shop this year. Good thing brought extra gaskets the last time I ordered Honda parts.

It is so much easier just let me do the work instead of me spending over an hour scraping off the RTV and unplugging vent holes. :roll: But as long we deal with the public we are going this attitude.

I did turn down a job just before closing (6 PM) last night where the customer wanted bring in a rider and want done by today without me even knowing what was wrong with it. I simply said that wil be closed Sunday and they could bring it in during me normal business hours so I find what is wrong so I could order the needed parts. I think 60 hrs a week is enough time to spend working on equipment.

I had to put my foot down about my hours as customer were calling at 2am and coming in on Sunday demanding me to work on their right then. The last cussing is the one was "The straw that broke the camel back.". I now have a chain that I put up across my driveway when I am closed and believe or not some don't even get the point that I am closed when the chain is up. My phone is now programmed to turn off the ringer during after hours.; no more waking me up in the middle of the night. I do need a day to get my personal done like cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, getting groceries, etc. I live by myself as you might have guess about the housework.

Well I done ranting about this. Just letting a little steam somewhere and hear at it is constructive as I don't so alone about these problems. Any way I know what is awaiting for me in the morning, 4 chainsaws, 2 riders, 1 push mower, and a pressure washer. At least the tiller is finished.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:40 pm

I get it for sure. It does go both ways though. I had a customer who had a broken timing belt on his Timecutter Toro and then took spindles off etc breaking bolts along the way. He said to me , yeah I probably cost myself more money than had I just left it alone. I gave the standard answer, well yes- but I can't fault a guy for trying. He went on to tell me in his business (drywall) that he finds people attempt the job and mess it up and they would have been much better off had they called in the first place. That is a timely thing for me as I just had a re-roof done and deleted some skylights. In the end my drywall will pass muster, though not like a pro had done it. I would have had to wait months as everyone that is so freaking busy with the housing boom, but had I planned ahead and hired it done- it would have been a much better thing.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:29 am

I try to avoid such like the plague. (reassembling and repairing something for the person that took it apart) :x

I just tell them that all the info that they need is available on-line.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:23 pm

I run into the case where the customer wants me to replace a part that he bought. I only do at home service. If I don't sell the part I don't do the work.
madmantrapper
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum