• Advertisement

Tecumseh lv148 flywheel torque

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh lv148 flywheel torque

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Service manual that I have doesn't cover the lv series. Lav is there though. For it I see 37.5 ft lbs for aluminum. I assume that should work for the lv. This mower was left at our charity dumpster. I'm wondering how much shift would cause a no start. This one had a tiny shift, not sheared. It has spark. Tried another plug too and just over 60 psi but doesn't fire on carb cleaner.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh lv148 flywheel torque

Postby hanz63 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:33 am

Well, it will run OK with a crease in the key. Sheared 1/2 way could throw a fit or not. Is it a nice mower over all yet?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 am

It's in decent shape , just won't fire. No handle and cables but my plan was to attach to this set up to replace one using oil.
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/mow ... church.jpg
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Dale_W » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 am

When I drive past properties with crazy big lots, I think to myself, "Yikes, how big of lawn mower does that guy need?"
I must say I like your solution.

I have two suggestions. I'd hate to see you go over a bump and lose your vice grips. May I recommend a section of rope looped around a few times and tied off?
Next, with that much property a man can get thirsty. Rather than interrupt your mowing I like the idea of a multi-axis swinging soda can holder mounted to the tractor.
Perhaps two of them?

Thanks for sharing.

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 am

I sort of need handles for leverage to start. The right unit is an old moto mower with no lever. It has a throttle/stop lever and a couple times it has brushed a tree and shut down. I did a bunch of restart pulls the first time until I realized what was wrong.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm stumped. I have new flywheel key in and torqued to spec. Still no fire. Testing further I had spark only with plug not installed. So I found another coil. Now I have inline spark with plug installed but still no fire. I pulled valve cover. Clearance is .005 on intake and .004 on exhaust so no valve is open. I rechecked compression and got 65 PSI. All firing test is on sprayed in carb cleaner. I guess I could pull head and look for cocked or burnt valve. I don't see that setting up carb with fuel would make a difference. I've always had dirty carb ones just fire on the carb cleaner when testing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm not sure if there is a control on this mower or not. Have you tried with the kill wire disconnected and confirmed the coil is not flipped? Otherwise I'd guess that I would pull the head too and have a look. Maddening little bugger.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 pm

The kill wire is still connected because I see spark. I could still remove it. Coil is correct position I'm guessing since it was same on donor unit
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:08 pm

I have it running. As I said there was spark with plug in it after replacing coil. When it still wouldn't fire I pulled plug to see if it was wet and noticed I may have failed to gap the new plug. It was less than .020. Gapped it and tried again. I had also done quick clean of the main jet and idle jet . So on carb cleaner it would sputter ever so slightly and stop. Just kept trying until it ran a bit. I pulled carb and ran it in the ultrasonic. Replaced nozzle o rings and needle/seat. Back together it would stay running. I put a good dose of MMO in the gas and it will start and run if I continue some primer pumps and after it warms up it will run on the mix.
Manual says it takes .62L of oil. I had 600 ml in a jug. Poured out 60 and added 60 MMO but when I put it in the engine it seems to be full at 500. Not sure why. It drained out over supper time and unit was level.
When I first started it I pushed it into grass and it died. It was adjusted for pretty low cut. I got front up a bit and it would stay running in grass. But maybe it had problems because I found the blade mounted upside down so the wing tips were heading into the grass.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Persistence!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum