• Advertisement

Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning Solution Recommendations

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning Solution Recommendations

Postby 38racing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Arkie wrote:I just use 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water in my ultrasonic. (and use the ultrasonics heater)

If it's a carb that is going to be stored as a spare after rebuilding I inject ATF fluid into the carb bowl and use two zip loc bags for storage. ATF will eventually get through one plastic bag.

I've rebuilt and stored stored several carbs for over 10 years and they are ready to go when removed from the plastic bags.
The ATF keeps the aluminum and all gaskets ready to go, no corrosion, etc. ;)

I'm going to see if a 50/50 mix of cleaning vinegar in the USC will clean the bit of rust off a set of steel lug nuts.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 am

As long as they are not aluminum nuts and are just by themselves I would use muriatic acid in a small lightly sealed container. Once the rust is removed rinse with water and then oil. Don't take very long, matter of minutes. But note this will not restore threading so badly rusted items is best replaced. Besides I would think you would not want the wheel coming off you are going down the road. Also if they chromed you might need to test the chrome reaction to the muriatic acid; I haven't.

White vinegar even at 6% strength (cleaning strength) that is available in most stores can used as is straight from the container but it still takes at least 12-24 hrs to remove surface rust as it got to dissolve the rust. Another option using the 5% (common food strength) white vinegar in an electrolysis setup which would much faster. Reducing cleaning time to a just a few hours depending how badly rusted things are. Now some places do sell stronger vinegar dilutions but they are cost prohibitive most times.

Note that muriatic acid does react with the moisture in the air and produces toxic fumes as it does; hence, the need for a lightly sealed container and well in a well ventilated area with moving air. Plus a sealed clear plastic container allows you to shake things and to see when things are cleaned. Muriatic acid will destroy aluminum so don't get it on aluminum.
StarTech

Postby 38racing » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:26 am

I've used the muriactic acid to derust car parts. I think I used it all up. I thought maybe by using the USC and vinegar I could avoid getting involved with the MA again.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:58 pm

As said the heating of the solution does provide better cleaning action. Just remember that once above 40C it can be rather hot to handle items before they cool. I can usually still put my hand in at 50C (100F) but after that it gets a little too much me to handle. Now I do crank the heat to 80C at times but I use a rag to handle the metal once out of the solution until it cools.

We were an early adopter of u/s cleaning in the UK in 1990 and were advised not to exceed 60C degrees as there was a danger of damaging the bond between the u/s transducers and the bottom of the tank. I think that this warning came about after a few tank failures where, to save time, the fluid had been heated in a kettle and poured into the tank rather than warmed up from cold by the units own heating element. Maybe tanks and materials have improved since then but I still half fill the tank with cold fluid before adding the hot.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum