• Advertisement

Briggs twin oil film

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs twin oil film

Postby Mr Mower Man » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm

I have a Briggs engine in the shop that I have been servicing every year since it was new. It now has 60 hours on it. (44N677-0005-G1) Just doing an overall check, I noticed that there was a wet oil film on the carburetor bowl, fuel line in front of the carburetor, and on the heat shield on top of the exhaust pipes. There is absolutely no oil leakage from the usual spots (valve covers and PTO oil seal), and it's a very clean looking engine, except for this strange oil film up front. What might be causing this? I haven't done a crankcase vacuum test yet, but I wonder if any crankcase pressure might be forcing oil out somewhere (maybe the breather tube?). The only other place I can think of that oil might be leaking is the top crank seal, which I haven't seen yet. However, there is no evidence of oil running down the side of the block anywhere, as far as I can see. Any ideas?
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs twin oil film

Postby Walt 2002 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 pm

The usual oil leak spot for this engine is not valve cover nor PTO seal. It is the sump gasket under the right hand cylinder while facing the carb. Not sure how oil might get from there to the areas you mention. I suppose the leak area might move on around slightly on some engines.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby Mr Mower Man » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:07 pm

The sump gasket has not failed on this engine...yet. I checked all around the engine during my inspection, looking for that, since those are a weak point on these engines. It's all clean.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:17 pm

UV dye test the engine. Takes the guess work out.
Last edited by StarTech on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:41 pm

over-oiled air pre-cleaner? Perhaps someone spilled a bit of oil on the flywheel screen when topping off the oil? (it'll throw off and given engine rotation that would be the side most likely getting the worst of it) Check breather tube for being properly hooked up and no holes in it?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 am

Has anyone seen a sump leak, bolts loosening up on the later ones with sealant?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum