• Advertisement

Cleaning OHV

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Cleaning OHV

Postby dennis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Working on a Briggs & Stratton M 312777, T 0130-E1, C 980407ZD. Took the head off and am having a devil of a time getting all of the carbon out of the valve wells, and cylinder head and piston. Been using a plastic scraper and brass brush. Is it ok to use steel wool on the head and piston? Also, had a hard time removing the intake valve oil seal. The rubber really stuck on all surfaces. Is that common? Also, is engine oil ok to use instead of valve stem lubricant when reassembling? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Cleaning OHV

Postby RoyM » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:58 pm

I would not use steel wool on the piston, you won't get all the fine particles which will act as an abrasive when the engine is started. Try oven cleaner on the head.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks for reply.

As far as intake valve seal goes, I don't have the new one yet, and forgot that the rubber and spring is surrounded by metal, just like most other seals. I will either thread a screw into the metal and pull it, or make a simple puller.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:59 am

I just use a stiff metal putty knife with a sharpen edge to the the piston head to get the heavy stuff off. I got wire brush that works of the ports that I use with my die grinder. It not the typical flat type but like a round brush that bristles flare out at high speed.
StarTech

Postby bobodu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 am

Ouch !!! The most power tool I would ever use is a BRASS brush in a slow speed Dremel.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum