• Advertisement

Yet another falsely label pressure washer

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Yet another falsely label pressure washer

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:30 am

Well this getting to be common here with pressure washers being labeled with higher output pressure than actually are capable of due the pump the OEM install. I would not be surprised that a class action suit is file sometime soon about this like the one where engine were mislabeled about hp ratings.

Yesterday I received in a Dewalt DXPW4240 label as 4200 psi unit. Customer claims it blew a high pressure hose and has very little pressure when operating the wand.

Connected up new 4500 psi hose, wand, and a 6000 psi gauge. Testing show it to have a max pressure of 3600 psi while unloader operating at max pressure setting and 300 psi with the wand operating with 4.5 gpm Zero degree tip.

Well the Comet ZWD-K4042 does claim to be 4200 psi pump but this is the problem it has 3600 psi unloader and can only be upgraded to an unloader that is 4000 psi. More likely it is a 4000 psi pump with a 4.2 gpm flow rate. Anyway it is impossible to get 4200 psi with a 3600 psi unloader. At least the pump does deliver close to what it is design to do even with a failed check valve and some other are close to failing. The water seals are also worn but this is to be expected with any pump that is used heavily. As for the blown hose since I can't anything above 3600 psi all I can figure is it is a just a hose failure not related to the pump. The failed check valve does explain why it only had 300 psi operating pressure with the wand open.

I will be talking with my customer today to see if he wants me go ahead and install a new unloader so he would have an extra 400 psi of line pressure. Anyway he is having to rent an unit while I order parts (1-2 weeks out).
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Yet another falsely label pressure washer

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Isn't this a kicker. Comet publishes IPL for the pump but don't include all variance parts. Customer pickup the valve kit per the part listed in the IPL and it is the wrong size. Apparently they used at least two different sizes. I hope that is all. The customer ended up having to make a second 120 mile round trip just to get the right ones. Glad I didn't order them this morning per the IPL.

Note to anyone working on these pumps make you let your vendor know all the numbers including the code number. Sure would have been nice the IPL had noted this.
Oh well awaiting the loctite to set up before testing now. I should had used the accelerator but didn't want the caps lock down before fully torqued as a set Cat caps did me.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 pm

I would the tip would make a difference depending fan or spray that might be the loss as well and might push your numbers closer from the tip. Just thinking out loud. But the unloader might have the final say as you install the new one.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Isn't this a kicker. Comet publishes IPL for the pump but don't include all variance parts. Customer pickup the valve kit per the part listed in the IPL and it is the wrong size. Apparently they used at least two different sizes. I hope that is all. The customer ended up having to make a second 120 mile round trip just to get the right ones. Glad I didn't order them this morning per the IPL.

Note to anyone working on these pumps make you let your vendor know all the numbers including the code number. Sure would have been nice the IPL had noted this.
Oh well awaiting the loctite to set up before testing now. I should had used the accelerator but didn't want the caps lock down before fully torqued as a set Cat caps did me.

Which is why I absolutely refuse to rebuild pumps or order parts for them.. the few pressure washers I see in, vast majority are using a cheap pump (the construction companies etc that will spend the $5,000 for a Karcher also take their machines to the Karcher dealer for service, so I never see those anyhow) .. anyhoo the cheap pumps, usually costs more to rebuild or replace (parts & labor or new pump) than it would to buy a whole new pressure washer... (Though I can sell them a $99 Simpson pump.. but after labor and taxes added in, still gonna be a $179 bill Vs buying a new one for 40 bucks more with a 2 year warranty.. so.. 9 times out of ten I never even have to work on the suckers any more.. )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:39 am

I don't fool with the vertical style pressure washers for the same reason as you can get a complete setup relative cheap vs repair with good quality pump. Usually the owner has lost part of the tips and other gadgets plus have duct taped hose and wand which is unsafe.

The customer spent at the local shop where he got the parts about $180 for the parts and I was in the same price range, just that I had to order the parts from PA to make a profit on the parts. But this additional profit is part of my warranty justification since I give a 90 days on a rebuilt unit. Just in case I got to do a rework.

Now the horizontals are usually worth repairing as there is not too much damage. Usually just water seals (packing) and o-rings. Every once in a blue moon they will need check valves. The Comet I worked on yesterday was because they went to an cheaper valve design as the first set of new valves where much better valves. Now a replacement could be had for $356 plus tax locally even though it lists for $475. Still spending a couple hundred repairing one is worth it. The DeWalt sold sold for $1100 even spending the cost of a new pump is worth it.

Mentioning the check valves I ran into a 2400 psi pump last year that had plastic valves that melted due the unloaded temps of the water. It was getting quite warm. Left here with upgrade metal valves. Left here doing only 1200 psi operating pressure but the customer was happy as had more operating pressure than when it was new.

I do have small horizontal setup that I am rebuilding for myself that will cost 2/3 of a new one as it needed a hose and wand along with a new pump though I might tear it down and replace the pistons as their coating is chipped. They wasn't chipped when I first disassemble the pump head but have chipped themselves while I awaiting the time to get back to the pump; not from being bumped around either. I am at a lost at to why they developed the damaged piston just sitting there. But I was needing the hose and wand for the one coming in for repairs that are in the 4000 psi range. It will be a little difficult to the pump with the 3/8 line fittings that fits this setup but that I my requirement here so I can use the same hose instead of those 22mm plastic hoses.

Yes Luffy the tips do change the line pressures which is why you should testing with correct size tips and why you are to use a Zero Degree (straight) tip during the pressure test because it usually produces the highest line pressure. The closer you get to the pump GMP flow rate the operating pressure get closer you get to the unloader setting. I can take a Cat 4000 psi 4 gpm pump put on a 4 gpm tip nearly kill a 13HP Honda GX390 with the working load. Have to use 4.5 gpm tips an run the operating pressures at 30-3300 PSI.

That Cat pump will produce the full 4000 psi when rebuilt or new if you use a 21 hp engine without overloading the engine. I have a customer that does second story work that runs one this way. You know he serious about his equipment when he using a Honda v-twin, they are not cheap. He also has two backup pumps that he carries to the job sites just in case he has a failure along with a spare engine.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum