• Advertisement

Gaskets and orings

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Gaskets and orings

Postby dennis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Working on a Briggs & Stratton M 312777, T 0130-E1, C 980407ZD. It is on a Mastercraft riding mower (MTD Mod 13AR698G022, Ser 1D178H10043. It has a Walbro LMT 5-4993 carb. I am confused about the gasket and oring requirements. I looked at the IPL, and it shows an o-ring between plastic intake manifold and head, and a gasket between intake manifold and carb. It also shows a gasket between the carb and air filter body. When I pulled the air filter body, carb and manifold I found an oring and gasket between intake manifold and head, a gasket between the intake manifold and carb, and just an o-ring between carb and air filter body. Someone obviously has worked on this in the past. Seems to me that there should be just an o-ring between plastic manifold and head, and gasket between plastic manifold and carb, and because the air cleaner body has a recess for an o-ring, and has an o-ring, that there should not be a gasket there. Anyone who understands what I just said, I would like to buy you a beer!
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Gaskets and orings

Postby hanz63 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:59 pm

691917 ring at the air box /carb
692138 ring at the head/ intake
692137 gasket at the intake /carb
Correct on all assumptions. Never a ring w/ gasket.
Hope this helps!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:48 pm

dennis wrote: It has a Walbro LMT 5-4993 carb.
It is NOT LMT 5-4993. the 5-4993 is just walbro's body casting part number - your LMT model number will be 1or 2 digits only, for some damn reason everybody and his brother on ebay keeps asking me if one piece or the other is gonna fit their LMT 5-4993 .. there can be a dozen completely different jetted carburetors for a lot of different models using the same carburetor body casting..

Just a pet peeve of mine.. never ever go by that body casting number to try and find parts.. you and your vendor will both be much happier for it!
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:59 am

Thanks for the offer but I don't drink beer although I do cook with it at times and use it for my slugs. This a great meal for my ducks but got to be careful as they do get drunk.

The IPL I just download from Briggs is showing an o-ring between the air box and the carburetor, not a paper gasket.

Yes I get the same thing here BGS about the carb which DYIer gets into trouble by installing the carburetor as they have different jets and nozzles. Usually I have them go back and get the old carburetor which I clean and repair though a few times they done trashed to old carburetor so the IPL is all I got to go by afterwords.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 am

the ipl is confusing. It shows right stuff with intake and and air housing. With the carb it shows 2 gaskets , 51 and 51a and happens to show 1 to left and 1 to right of carb which might not in this case represent their location. And if you look up a 31c it has a different style intake and air and even shows a restrictor gasket at head with o-ring. That had someone confused too. Can't remember if it was on ppeten or mytractor.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am

Yes there is two different gaskets for that location just use the one like the one is currently present. 51A is the one with a heat dam to protect the fuel solenoid. Personally I haven't ran across any engines using it yet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks guys, for all the help. hanz63...I came to the same conclusion as you did. Thanks. BGSengine, thanks for the clarification on the numbers. This is a gravity feed, part no 698620 carb. The numbers on top of the carb are 154....0688....498888. The only other numbers are the 5-4993, and there is a two digit number, 48, next to WALBRO.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:26 pm

That carb would be a LMT 154. Just to note not all these carbs are stamped with LMT version number. This I know for sure as I got one in hand here but there a cast number of 77 which might be the LMT number. Now the IPLs usually will reference if it makes a difference in which parts are needed. With the engine you listed there was 4 carb versions used. With two one style choke spring and the other two using a different choke spring.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum