• Advertisement

generac generator wont produce power

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: generac generator wont produce power

Postby plotthound » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 am

we are 100 kms north of Toronto and its always been like day and night in such a short distance.

I brought the board and the voltage control to an electronics guy to check it out.everything tested good so now I can reassemble everything then try to reflash it.hope that works.
plotthound
Guide

Postby plotthound » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 pm

so when I get around to flashing this sucker,do I remove the wires from the the avr?or just the connect the battery to the existing wires?

thanks
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm

You disconnect the wires from the brushes and then using jumpers connect the battery to the brushes. As note in the SM positive brush is the one closest to the bearing. With generator running check your output and it should be 240 VAC at the 240vac output socket or 120vac if only 120 sockets @ 3600 rpm. Run the generator a couple minutes, shutdown, remove battery jumpers and reconnect the AVR, then retest the generator output.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:03 pm

thanks mister,cant wait to try this out. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby plotthound » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 pm

so I put the board and avr back in place then started the unit to confirm there was no power.shut the unit down and connected the brushes to a 12 volt battery for 5 seconds while the engine was running.still have no power.looks like there is an open or shorted winding somewhere.i did notice that the idle control is not working.whether its in the on or off position it apears to be running at fast idle.

anymore recommendations???? thanks again :P
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Try checking the rotor by disconnecting the wires to the brushes and ohming across them and also across the two slip rings. I suspect that the rotor winding is open, the brushes worn out, or the slip rings are glazed over. If the rotor is open it is best just forget the repairs as they are very expensive or at the last one I checked the price on was.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Plotthound stated in his original post that he got the generator for free. Depending on what "very expensive" translates into in this case and (more importantly) what are his plans for the unit (e.g., personal use, get it putting out power and sell it for a profit, etc.) it MIGHT still be worth fixing it?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 pm

thanks KE4AVB ,will try out those final tests when I find my multi meter. :o

creia if in fact the rotor is shot then if i can find one decently priced i might fix it.but im thinking that i will scrap out the rotor and stator then sell the control board since they are no longer available.i hate to do this since it runs so well,but i dont need to throw to much coin at it.damn chinese generators are so cheap,its not worth spending much on a 20 year old generac.

cheers
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 pm

What I mean about a 600 USD generator isn't worth is the expense of a 450 USD rotor and then still may need other work too. As Plotthound said got to use common sense about what to put in one and think about the replacement cost is.

Yes I understand they cost more in Canada but so does the parts. I since I am in repair once it gets to a certain price level I just part them out.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:33 pm

had some spare time on sunday so I tore into this thing.removed the rotor and stator.the rotor tested fine but the stator had a really crispy spot on it so it looks like ive got a pile of scrap.will pullthe control board and the voltage regulator out of it then bye bye to the rest. :twisted:
plotthound
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum