• Advertisement

White's 3.5hp Ranger Tiller, manual?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

White's 3.5hp Ranger Tiller, manual?

Postby dart451 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Anyone know how I could find a manual or a diagram for an old vintage White's 3.5hp Ranger front Tine TIller? No numbers on the tiller anymore but I believe there must be some type of belt under the engine that needs replacing or adjusted...just not sure how to...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: White's 3.5hp Ranger Tiller, manual?

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Looks like an old Gibson tiller and yes there should be a drive and and an moving idler pulley. Probably will need to trail and error replacement of parts however.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 pm

go here
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do
enter 212-100 for model and 1 for serial
and see if the unit looks like yours

found the above at
https://www.mytractorforum.com/214-till ... iller.html
where someone pictured a white's
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 pm

Hi Dart

I worked on one of these machines a few years ago, and this is what I found. There are 2 bolts on either side of the engine plate, remove these bolts and the whole plate lifts off the tiller. I don't truthfully remember if the belt tensioner idler is attached to the engine plate or the tiller frame. Once you get the engine plate lifted a little, you should be able to see. The other thing I found with these tillers that have the vertically mounted gear case is the input shaft bearing tends to seize as no oil gets up there.

What I have done in the past, is to drill a hole between the bearing and the seal, tap it and install a grease fitting. Pump the cavity full of grease so you know the grease is getting into the bearing, then instruct the owner to give the fitting one shot of grease before each tilling season. Changing the engine oil on these units is a real doozy unless you have an oil extractor or a thread-in oil extension tube to stop the oil going all over the engine plate when you tip it on its side. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby dart451 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:46 am

I made a mistake here! I failed to take a picture of the belt location before I took it off so now I'm not too sure how the new belt is placed. I have taken a series of pics of the new belt placement, #1 showing the belt in neutral position, #2 in Forward position. The confusion I have here is...the idler pulley is a flat pulley and as far as I understand, it should ALWAYS be against the back of the belt. However, I can tell by moving the lever that only goes to Neutral and Forward, in forward, it loosens the belt, not tightening it. And, the keeper on the idler pulley seems to do nothing. So, I have pic #3 showing the Neutral position and #4 the Forward position. The idler keepers seem to be in proper position and this seems to tighten the belt when in Forward....however, the inside of the belt is against the idler instead at the back. I seem to remember the belt being in this position when I took it off but the flat idler is throwing my thinking off. Anyone out there know if this seems correct and idlers sometimes run on the inside of the belt??
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

You should have it correct - there ARE times when a flat idler may be used and sits against the inside (narrow part of the V) of a belt ,I believe the ORIGINAL belt as manufactured (long since obsoleted, even back in 1984 when I last worked on one, yes I remember that far back) was much flatter on the inside of the V , and a bit wider on the back side than the usual 1/2" FHP spec you find with most standard V-Belts these days. But they do not make anything like that belt any more, so you just have to work with what's available and you should have it hooked up right in the last 2 pics you have.

Happen to know all that only because that was the first rototiller I worked on (it was my Dad's) and I'd been trying to "fix it up" for the family garden... The original belt would have been fine except for the fact that the gearbox was bound up and the engine pulley burned through the belt trying to get it to turn the tines over... so I had a nearly pristine (except for that burn-through) belt to compare with.. and was my first time coming up against a "Obsolete, no longer available, so you're screwed" situation on parts... took me another 2 years before I figured out how to measure V-belts and find something compatible (Hey, I was just a kid back then, and that 2 years was spent in high school before I got my first job (part time) at a big shop)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Thank you for the information! I figured that was the way it was on prior to me taking it off. Goes to show that one should always take pics before taking stuff apart...especially the old stuff...kinda like myself!
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum