• Advertisement

Craftsman Tractor Won't Start.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Tractor Won't Start.

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Craftsman 917.273180
Serial 082504D017544

Kohler engine
Family 4KHXS.4902GB
Model:CV490S
Spec: 27532
Serial: 3410307383
Build Date: 4/12/2004
OEM Prod Num: 190816

So it's been a while since I've worked on a machine so I'm checking in with my friends. The owner reports that it was running fine last week but when he went to use it this week, it wouldn't start. It turns over, then lets out a pop, like it wants to start but doesn't. It reminded me of what I've seen with the briggs when the valves get out of wack. But after looking the engine up, it appears to have hydraulic valves, which I think are nonadjustable?

Fuel flows freely from the tank but the fuel filter, which is transparent, has no fuel in it. I checked all the lines, which flow freely. I tested the selenoid by removing it and turning on the key to see if it actuates. It appears to operate properly.

So I'm guessing that something is preventing fuel from flowing in the carb. I found that the rubber tip on the needle is cocked a bit. I was wondering if this may be the issue.

The fuel system is gravity fed so I'm guessing the fuel filter should have fuel in it and if it doesn't, it means that there is a blockage somewhere on the way to the cylinder.

Am I on the right track with this one? I have good spark and the machine is well maintained. Good clean oil, clean machine and so forth. A preliminary examination of the carb shows that the major passage ways are free, inlet, port up to the venture and so forth. I'm going to clean it but thought I may try a kit, which includes a new needle. Just wondering if I'm in the right neighborhood. Photos below... I think. Photo bucket is giving me a hard time so I've tried to paste some links from google.

Thanks
Lefty.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bHZ7MUfjbfuAobxT8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ydJ4wTxYxM6sHEPeA
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Tractor Won't Start.

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Usually the rubber tip in this condition cause leakage leading to fuel in the cylinder and crankcase.

As no fuel in the fuel filter it one of two possibles either the filter/line has a blockage or the carburetor inlet is blocked.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Well, that needle could use some attention for sure- though a pop could be a few different things. 2505007s is the most forgiving fuel filter for these, so get one of those and a spark plug whilst you are picking up parts. I assume it seems to have compression?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:46 pm

I know that compressions should be checked but I haven't had enough time set aside to set up a leak down on it. But I do feel the normal amount you would feel turning the flywheel by hand. And it makes all the normal hissing and sucking as the valves actuate. I was just eyeballing it over the weekend and saw the empty fuel filter so I attacked the fuel line and the carb. It seemed logical given the history. And the fuel filter is below the level of the bottom of the tank, which was full. I thought there should be at least some fuel in the filter. I'm thinking there must be a blockage somewhere in the carb because as soon as I disconnected the line, I was able to drain the tank through it. Maybe there was something blocking it and it freed up without me seeing it. Quite possible as I'm recently having to use glasses.

I know this is a simple thought and may not apply but...is there a gas cap vent on this? Could it be that simple? When I drained the fuel I think the gas cap was off. I'm not near the machine right now to check.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am

Yes, it would be a vented cap.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:18 am

Dump some gas down the throat...if it runs...Fix the carb....
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:48 am

Will do. Thank you. I'll update the thread once I sort it all out.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Gravity fed and no fuel in the fuel filter, but the gas tank is full.

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Take the fuel line off the carb and see if the filter will get gas. If not check the line back to the tank with the gas cap removed. You need to get gas to the carb FIRST, before taking the carb apart.
Another hint is squirt little gas in the carb throat and the engine should promise to run. You may have two issues, gas to carb and a bad carb.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am

Good tip but the carb is already off and cleaned up. I've checked all the hoses leading to the carb. That vent on the cap was completely clogged up. Maybe it had something to do with it. Nevertheless, I think we need a new needle. But I'm having a big problem finding it.

Problem now is I can only find one kit for this carb. Walbro LMK. There's only one model for this carb on the Walbro site. LMK-26-1. I ordered the kit for it and it came with 2 needles but they are both metal tipped. The one that came out of the carb is a viton tip.

One caveat: I can't find the exact model engine, as if it mattered because I can only find one kit. My model is CV490S-27532. The model that comes up on all the sites is CV490-27532, without the "s". I'm not sure if that matters. I don't think I can use a metal tip needle and seat because that would change the height of the needle.

I can read only part of the numbers on the actual carb. LMT 95A 0434

I'm going insane over here.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:58 am

lefty, I am sitting here looking a Kohler 1275703-S kit. The 4 sided small diameter needle tip is rubber just so silvered that its looks like all metal. It the larger three side needle that is all metal

As looking Kohler parts you drop the "S" from the model number as it just indicates electric starter.

Also if your just the small side needle valve you can order the Stens 615-885.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum