• Advertisement

Briggs 31 walbro flooding or maybe not

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 31 walbro flooding or maybe not

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:38 am

Moving my issue from somebody else's thread. I definitely was seeing oil up the dipstick. I pulled the carb and set it up for a bench test. While it sat I r&rd the oil filter. There wasn't a lot of oil in it to explain the fact that repeated oil level checks before draining the crankcase show oil right at full mark. I drained the oil and it didn't really seem gassy. I took a look at the dipstick. Not sure if important but it has a 28 stamped on it, not 31. Measuring I determined that full on dipstick is 3/16 below top of tube grommet seal. I refilled with the spec 1.4 l and it was as the top of the grommet. That might explain my suspicion of some leakage there. I reduced oil by 3/16 . meanwhile the carb showed no flooding in the bench test. I put it back on. I'm going to avoid slope cutting and monitor oil again.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 31 walbro flooding or maybe not

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am

If this is after the engine cool down or sitting for a while the initial check it might just the fact that the oil fill tube creates a vacuum and draws up excess oil. Once you break this vacuum the oil returns to normal. I have seen multiple engines to do this and mislead those that are not aware of this vacuum condition can happen.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 90+ret-d » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:55 pm

KE4AVB is correct, I found that making a habit of turning off the fuel supply valve in the line to the carb. and loosening the oil dipstick cap after parking the machine is the best for me. Saves possible head aches later on.
90+ret-d

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:08 pm

90+ret-d wrote:KE4AVB is correct, I found that making a habit of turning off the fuel supply valve in the line to the carb. and loosening the oil dipstick cap after parking the machine is the best for me. Saves possible head aches later on.

My issue was that I do use an inline fuel shutoff (as long as I don't forget). When carb was off I saw no leakage through the valve.
Oil up high on the dipstick was after long sit and repeated wipe rechecks. That's what's puzzling me. I continually check oil on this one as I replaced rings aways back. I was suspicious of leakage around the grommet too.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:18 pm

You could use a vacuum operated fuel valve then it would shut the fuel off without you even remembering to do so. I actually got a few of them here just got remember where I put them.. They are 9 usd cost currently with shipping.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 pm

That could be a cool little valve. Yes, post where you found them please. A google image search comes up as a teapot.....
Or wait. Amazon 1PZ M3W Valve ?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:51 am

hanz63 wrote:That could be a cool little valve. Yes, post where you found them please. A google image search comes up as a teapot.....
Or wait. Amazon 1PZ M3W Valve ?

You catching on to searching. Yes the image is from Amazon M3W valve use on small Chinese ATVs. The carburetors are bad to leak on these when sitting and under 20 yr olds don't think about shutting off the fuel. They just ride them until quit and we got figure what they broke.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:49 am

I assume there is enough cranking pulse to open it to fill an empty bowl?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 am

38racing wrote:I assume there is enough cranking pulse to open it to fill an empty bowl?

Been used on motorcycles for decades but they run off intake manifold vacuum and they usually have a PRIME position for running with an empty bowl. These are used a lot on Chinese GY6 scooters and go karts these days.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 38racing » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:19 pm

38racing wrote:Moving my issue from somebody else's thread. I definitely was seeing oil up the dipstick. I pulled the carb and set it up for a bench test. While it sat I r&rd the oil filter. There wasn't a lot of oil in it to explain the fact that repeated oil level checks before draining the crankcase show oil right at full mark. I drained the oil and it didn't really seem gassy. I took a look at the dipstick. Not sure if important but it has a 28 stamped on it, not 31. Measuring I determined that full on dipstick is 3/16 below top of tube grommet seal. I refilled with the spec 1.4 l and it was as the top of the grommet. That might explain my suspicion of some leakage there. I reduced oil by 3/16 . meanwhile the carb showed no flooding in the bench test. I put it back on. I'm going to avoid slope cutting and monitor oil again.

People here are so polite. Lol. After doing the above I moved it to another level spot. Ran a minute at most. When I went to use it a few days later I found the oil was below full. I had needlessly removed that excess oil. I guess it would have fill the filter . I added back to full. I then cut for about at least an hour . When done I shut the fuel line off and ran until first misfire for fuel and marked fuel level in tank. Tomorrow will check oil.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum