• Advertisement

B&S Alternator Information Needed

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: B&S Alternator Information Needed

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:07 am

OverKnight wrote:(five watts should be equal to about 70 watts)

I believe OverKnight means 5 amp is about 70 watts.

Yes the 10,13,16 amp stator should just swap out with the dual circuit stator as far being bolted in place. Of course you will need a rectifier/regulator.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby OverKnight » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
I believe OverKnight means 5 amp is about 70 watts.

You are correct. At 2:37 AM, I should be getting some sleep instead of calculating watts from amps :)
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby bobodu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 am

LEDs solve every problem known to man except groping allegations.
I needed new license plate lights on my pickup. Found some on ebay the are built into the bolts that hold the plate on !!
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby OverKnight » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Bobodu wrote:
LEDs solve every problem known to man except groping allegations.

I don't disagree, except all of the LED flashlights I've seen are much better as spotlights than floodlights. I think we're still in our infancy with LED development, so I think this should improve over time (the beam pattern, that is; groping allegations, probably not ;) ).

The AC output from the current stator should put out enough juice to run the 55 W halogen light; nothing else will be connected to this circuit. I've ordered the new diode. If there are any problems after it's installed, then yes, I'll start looking for an LED headlight.

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:25 pm

38racing wrote:you can buy a 10 amp stator and regulator but it won't be cheap. maybe find one in ebay but I am finding nothing is cheap on ebay anymore. for the heck I rewound a dual stator into a higher amp ac and fed it through a regulator. I have time on my hands sometimes for projects like that.

i thought it was working fine for friend last summer but he had battery issues this year. my wound up stator has failed.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:40 am

You probably used the single layer enamel wire instead dual layer Armour [armor] enamel wire. The lightly coated isn't intended for high current operations and can easily short circuit especially under high temp applications.

I use both here when building and repair RF equipment. The lighter coated wire is easier to work with when winding torrid cores but the heavier coated wire must used in high wattage applications. Also the lighter coating can be easily scratched bare when winding if there is any sharp edges on the core. Here I need to sand the torrid core to remove the casting sharp edges.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bluemower » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am

this project is for members with time on their hands and they just want to see if it can be done. Here is another angle to figure. The dual circuit is marginal and the output is rated at 3600 rpm. Most mower applications are governed at 3200 or 3300 rpm. So.... will this furnish the wattage required?

The Power Distributor site indicates there are no 393456 leads in their inventory and they would have to source from Briggs. I suspect this item is seldom ordered from the distributor. Don't know about the aftermarket places.
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:12 am

There is probably a couple reasons. 1> Techs are too lazy to replace the cable or 2> Some techs are like me and just replace the diode. I do know some techs around my locale just plain don't know how to even check a diode. I kinda doubt they could even get out of a wet paper bag with both ends open. :lol:

Personally I don't see many fried but I have a few diodes, connectors, terminals, heat shrink, and wire on hand.

For after market version search Oregon 33-414.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:02 pm

i'd like to try this on the dual and see if increases current.
Briggs & Stratton 790292 Regulator
A CDN supplier web site claims to have one for 50 cdn with shipping and tax. I'm waiting for confirmation. Couple other places show it out of stock.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 pm

Briggs claims it will incease the current from 3A max to 5A max.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum