• Advertisement

Hydrogear EZT

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hydrogear EZT

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Well I have ran to a need for a tool to hold a v pulley while I tighten the nut to 55 ft-lbs. So any ideas on what tool would work without slipping or damaging the pulley v groove? I tried using a v belt and a pair of large vise grips but the belt keeps pulling out the grip. In 10 yrs I never needed to hold a v pulley to torque a nut or screw.

I just about had it trying to just get Hydrogear to provide me the fan PN. The e-mail from is saying I have given a bad model number so sent a picture of the label to two days ago. I have not heard back yet. I reckon I call the guy RBI gave me the phone number @ Hydrogear to see he can help in the morning. I ordered HG-52576 the pulley from the generic IPL of the ZC/ZD series but it is way too large for my application.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Hydrogear EZT

Postby bgsengine » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:35 pm

strap wrench, take a piece of an old V-Belt with enough top width (and/or depth) to completely fill the pulley V, trim to an exact fit, then strap wrench around it - the piece of belt filling the pulley V groove helps support and distribute the force of strap wrench?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:17 am

Now there is an idea as I was thinking fitting in the groove to hold the pulley I give a try later today but I got to find a strap wrench at one of the local auto parts stores that will fit the pulley. The only one I have here is a chain type which would damage the pulley no matter what I do.

BTW it is the first time I seen a hydro fan curled up into the belt path along with hitting the frame. Got to be heat from the muffler over the last couple years getting sucked in while running softening the fan and the fan cools off enough while idling for it set in place.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:10 pm

Was a little nervous due the amount pressure I had to apply to get to 55 ft-lbs as the strap stretched more than I expected plus the band was barely wide enough for the pulley 1/2 belt pulley. No way it will clamp a 5/8 pulley safely. I keep looking for a wider version.

But thanks as I did get the pulley nut tighten and the hydro unit back in.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Some of them have holes Thur the pulley which I have used some in the past to hold only now is they are making them cheap and easier to break
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:27 am

Luffydog wrote:Some of them have holes Thur the pulley which I have used some in the past to hold only now is they are making them cheap and easier to break

Probably why I am seeing only pulley/fan kits for some model versions of the ZC/ZD series through the fan and other parts in the kit are available separately. I having to add this info to my copy of the IPL for future reference which is why don't have it at my finger tips this morning as the file hasn't been re-shared on my shop computer and I am in the office presently.

The IPL is considered a generic cover most copy so decoding the model number for the correct PNs is a must. The fan only for the P code version is not listed by Hydrogear which is why I ended up initially ordering the wrong 7" 10 blade fan before I found the correct PN for it.

I had to replace the fan because the tips were curled up thus was hitting the frame and getting into the belt path. Both of which was causing the belt to thrown and eventually it caught by the fan and snapped the Kevlar belt. I initially thought it was the 2" idler that had bearings going bad but it ended up being a combination of problems including loose mounting bolts. I think the fan problem was a long term heat problem that softening it during use and it was setting in place during idling and cool down when putting the mower away. I have another customer the fan showed damage too and I now know why.

I went ahead and replace the brake too as it had heavily worn teeth. One note the replacement brake kit has a shoulder screw that has shorter threaded end so I recommend reusing the original screw with new loctite applied.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Most times they have the part# inside the cup of the fan. Had one about the same way last year with the blades up like yours is now. Customer really couldn't wait for it to be ordered so I took the ole propane torch heated them slightly bent them down so he could use the mower while being ordered. He never showed back up for the part. His mower came In for a service he had took the fan and cut the blades off so they wouldn't get in the way anymore. So I seen it missing and he got his new fan after all. Some of them in hydro gear part number will cross over to a bad boy part#.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:06 am

Luffydog wrote:Had one about the same way last year with the blades up like yours is now. Customer really couldn't wait for it to be ordered so I took the ole propane torch heated them slightly bent them down so he could use the mower while being ordered. He never showed back up for the part. His mower came In for a service he had took the fan and cut the blades off so they wouldn't get in the way anymore. So I seen it missing and he got his new fan after all.

I hate it when customers does things like that. I got to where when they order a part only I get the item prepaid. Some customers are so cheap that they rather risk losing the whole unit than part with a few dollars.

Still I haven't seen anymore duct taped mower blades. Besides if the customer can't wait 48 hrs they can go somewhere else for the parts and do the work themselves. The only problem is most shop around will not the parts either. I had a few years ago a good customer that took his mower to JD because I was able to get to it due to my mother health problems. I had my hands full taking care of her. JD ended up billing him nearly $1000 to replace a fan and you probably know how easy they replaced after dropping the hydro.

Most times they have the part# inside the cup of the fan. Some of them in hydro gear part number will cross over to a bad boy part#.

That how I found the PN this time after I had to pull the hydro to find it. I typed in the number into my database price file and it came up as a valid fan PN so order it. I got a little pissed when Hydro Gear support came back saying the model number was invalid and refused to reply after I sent them an image of the model/serial number tag. So much easier when the IPL has the PN number as I could had still push the mower out of the way instead it sat on jack stands until I got the right fan. I said the IPL I have only had a fan/pulley kit listed at around $35.26 when the fan itself was only $6.22 suggested list. I don't see any reason to order a whole kit just when I needed the fan. Hustler was worse they wanted me to buy a whole hydro unit. Anyway it costed the customer a little more for the fan only as I added in some of shipping charge as the profit margin did cover the shipping as it was a small order. But normally I use to imprints being in house numbers that don't easily cross to actually PNs. Anyway Gardner had them in stock in the TN warehouse and I got them the next day. Now of course my UPS delivery are right at closing time so things takes a couple days to get done.

I had only three Bad Boy ZTRs to show so far. Two with deck problems and one with ignition problems.

I see that Hydro Gear want to keep things secret so we go to the dealer for repairs but why when I can to same thing other to support the not so local dealer. Hopefully they are not jerks like the local shops that refuse to work on anything that they don't sell. Just didn't need to contact them.

It is the second EZT I have worked on this Summer. The last one had input bearing and seal failure. Of course when a cloth of some kind is wrap around the input, it does destroy the seal. I ended up fully disassembling it as it had water in the oil to check for rust damaged bearings. Ordered a seal kit and used an in house bearing that I got from Carnell. I got to where I buy bearings in lots of 10 or 20 each as I know I going to need them, just got in 30 ea 6203s and 6204s.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:47 pm

To break those down take a lot of time and put back together I know. Zt3100-zt5400 are both a pain. If I had to break down each one that came in there would be no time for any other repairs in the shop. 2 years ago had one that had a bent input shaft and some you can replace from the outside but most have to be broke down and replace from the inside part of the housing or casing to do that the input shaft has to come out. As we did this you could clearly tell it was bent and the casing was very worn and leaking and the only reason he brung it to shop was because it quit pulling and making noise. He choose not to replace the input shaft and the casing which was a waste of time. After the repair it still leaked and wheel would of coarse still go up and down as it went around in its path of the circle. He had to replace the whole transaxle after the repair which was only $1500 dollars. Plus the wheel and hub. Not counting the labor. But sometimes being cheap and knowing your trying to save the ole pocket more than likely it will cost the customer more than he thought as he found out. I just don't get why they bring it in if they know more than the mech does why don't they just fix it themselves. :bricks: :lol:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:43 am

Yes I get those that think they know more than what I am seeing at times. Don't you really love those that comes in, knowing they having problems like smoking but won't mention it when what kinda problems they are having? I a Briggs v twin to come in sounding like a hot rod. Both #2 push rods bent because valve guides moved. No mention of it smoking heavily before the failure. I only done 10 of these heads where the valve guide(s) moved and never ran across a worn out cylinder until now. I spent two weeks battling with Briggs getting the replacement head due their operation problems. Luckily I I never opened up the new head box so will get lost before the next replacement.

On that hydro you mention it sounds like there was two or three root problems with the operator being one of them. :lol:

Kinda lucky in one sense here as most owners of riders will not repair the mowers when it comes to hydro major repairs or replacement. They I am just trying to rip them off. I had one Tuff Torq that came in that would not move. The owner didn't tell me the RH wheel was falling off. I raised the rear to pull the unit when the wheel and part of the axle just roll off across the shop yard. Quoted them the replacement of the housing set and axle which was half of the new replacement K46. They just had me to stick the wheel back on and was taking it to the Husqvarna dealer shop. Out of warranty so they probably just didn't repair it. What a waste of such a nice looking mower. Of now my Tuff Torq parts are little less now with Gardner being online instead me going to Tuff Torq direct.

As for owners telling what to do I have an ATV owner/buyer/seller that does his own repairs which now is just getting to a point that he understands when I contradict him on repairs though he still comes for a look see himself. Things are not always what you think it is. Sorta like a Bobcat UTV he had in my shop that would not accelerate he had to change the fuel pump, injector, and TPS sensor based on what the Bobcat dealer was telling him. Meanwhile I downloaded the service manual and reading it as time permitted. Hide deep inside the SM was a note about the parking brake that if it wasn't sensed to be fully release the onboard computer would not allow the engine run slightly above idle. Wasted all that time just because the parking brake was out of adjustment. Adjusted it and no problems. Sometimes it pays to fully read the SM before setting in to repairs. :lol: At least I got pay for all my time spent on the unnecessary repairs.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum