• Advertisement

Fd791d

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fd791d

Postby Luffydog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Have an Fd791d that is over charging most times they are not charging. This one is putting out 17+ new regulator also tried new battery as well. Harness has been tampered a bit. Ka motor is in a scag unit. Thanks for any ideas.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Fd791d

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:20 am

make sure it is the correct regulator first - Kawi makes some that look similar but internally different, use wrong regulator, you might hit this problem. verify your part numbers against your engine spec number.. and don't rely on some aftermarket "will fit" list to tell you that their regulator A will replace Kawi's regulator "B"
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:23 am

Will sure double check it
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 am

Hopefully it is not the DFI version. No Spec number given to look-up but both appear to use the regulator wiring setup per SM.

Note from SM: If the output voltage is much higher than the specification, the regulator is defective, or the regulator leads are loose or open.

Since the wiring harness has been mess with. Verify all wires are going where they are intended to go to and solid contacts are made by the terminals, and that the voltage regulator grounds are solid. Terminal No 7 (Gray) @ voltage regulator is chassis ground. Also try another regulator, I had one to fail last year shortly after installation.

Also the SM has a resistance check out for the regulator. If you need a copy of the SM I can email you a copy to address on file here.

And one final question. Do you have access to Kawasaki's CEPC parts look-up system?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Yes this is dfi. I also have another regulator on its way to double check that it is good or bad. I think but not sure about the access you asked about. Didn't get a chance today to look at it farther. But Monday will double check all the wiring as best that I can with the rats nest that it is. The guy stopped by today and asked how it was going and told him not good so far. But at the price of both the harness to put in new just to be guessing close to $800 and not knowing the real issue is a gamble. This unit is also burning anti-freeze Thur #1 cy. And oil it seems like out #2 cy. I told him if we get the charging going it still will not fix all the issues that is going on. He replaced the head gasket himself I am thinking he has a bad head but he did say the unit got hot. I'll check on the cepc parts look up but I am sure we do. We have parts look up guys that do all our look ups and orders unless they have questions or doubt about the part or look up we pretty much don't see the screen. I'll try to get more info on it as I can but seems like when I look at it more and more something always leads back to square one or about the time you start finding something we get pulled off of it to go to another. :bricks:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:02 am

I have work for the other man and I hated getting pull off a job just as I start. You lose your point of reference nearly every time. Lots of wasted time. I got to one machine several times one day then boss wanted to know why I had not fixed it yet. I told him when you stop pulling me off the equipment for your pet projects maybe I could get it repaired. He said "I pay you to do what I want done". I had no problem with that but complaining that I not getting a job done because his constant interference does make repairing things a lot harder. Another time I was repairing a $2000 programmable calculator that was giving fits when he said to do something I knew would fry it. He said "Do what I said to do" over my objections. So I did. Guess what he said when it started smoking. "YOU KNEW BETTER" screaming at me to unplug it. He then want me to pay for its replacement. I refused.

I have been looking up my own parts for 40 y rs even when I worked for a Fortune 500 company so it is hard for me to try to let someone else look up what I am needing now. Besides with all the different OEMs calling the same part by different names it can get confusing at times; unless, I do it myself.

Even though I am not a Kaw dealer I do access the CEPC out of Europe which gives me access to the JD used engines IPLs; although, some of the parts are propitiatory to JD so I need JD pns instead of Kaw pns. But there is a lot items that I can get through a Kaw dealer so that costs are less. I can send the website page address if you wish to look at things yourself.

It doesn't do me any good to deal with the local JD lately. First they took away my discounts and now they are trying to over charge me by using prices are subject to change clause on their website. That and the fact that they don't have the parts on hand that I need most times, I basically quit them and gone back to an old supplier out IN that does give me a discount with a lot of the times free shipping. It going to slow me down some on JD equipment but I don't like a company that breaks their word with me.

Now back to your engine problem it ran very hot then he has probably warped one or both heads or could even warp the head upon installation. You're only allow .002 max warp-age. Basically they got to be dead flat. Plus with the customer installing the head he probably didn't follow the torquing requirement of going through 27 in-lbs step until he got to 20 ft-lbs after the initial 11 ft-lb torque. Antifreeze source also can be reusing the intake manifold gasket since the intake is water cooled/heated.

I had a customer here that got a set of head gaskets off Ripbay for his engine on a 445 JD and still had problems. Of course, he did they were used head gaskets so he had antifreeze in the cylinder. He also tried reusing the intake gaskets. I finally repaired his induced problem and his other problems which there were two root causes. The control module was randomly firing cylinders and a short 1.5 inch fuel line in the fuel tank was bad. That fuel line was the hardest to fix as the rear fender pan had to come off to access the fuel pump. Leaking so bad that the injectors were not injecting as needed.

Anyway the voltage problem got to be fixed first especially since it is fuel injected. Electronics don't like voltages out of spec.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 am

I asked him if he took it off correctly and followed the torque specs on putting back on and he said no. I told him he prob had a warped head and maybe some other underlined issues. He said he might just drop in a engine. I told him if he does still needs to buy the machines harness to fix all the safety issues and all the cuts for good connection or problems will start soon after the replacement of the new engine. He wasn't happy
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:15 am

Understand...but when you do things not knowing what you're doing the correction of the mistakes are sometime more expensive than just letting someone that does know how.

I have straighten MTD mower decks this summer where they were rigged up to work. Having to replace parts that were removed that I normally don't need to replace.

I have a Yanmar in the shop now where someone thought just gutting the left front 4 wheel drive assembly was all they need to do. Well they remove the main support and was depending on a little 6204 bearing to hold everything together. Well it didn't work as it was just hanging on by the steering arm and they had already thrown away the removed parts. Several hundred dollars just been ordered to repair it. I destroy three chisels getting what was left of the 6204 bearing outer race/bearing; just lucky that I was able to modify the chisels to get in where I needed to pop it out.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum