• Advertisement

17.5 Kohler engine problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: 17.5 Kohler engine problems

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 am

KE4AVB wrote:As BGS said check all connections first due the water ingress.

To me it sounds like a misfiring spark that failing when hot under compression or the overvoltage has screwed up the DSAI module. That module has been replace with an upgrade kit where everything is now inside the new coil.

But as you things got overheated electrically.

Again after reading about these changes I am almost sure the overcharge problem killed the DSAI module.
I do think you hit the nail on the head on this.
Here is the article you were referring to.
All new engine specs that were originally equipped with the DSAI system have been upgraded to the new MDI ignition.

The MDI ignition system offers the same ignition timing advance features as its predecessor, however it does not require a 12 volt power source to function. Some of the key features of the MDI system:

· Eliminates dependence on 12 volt battery power

· Eliminates concern with high voltage transients input to the module .
The higher voltage from voltage regulator not working correct fried this DSAI module. Make sense. THANKS a million for this great info. I would have never known if not for your post.

My question on why this would have happened is this. Wouldn't the fuse blow if an overload was detected in wires going to the DSAI if voltage was higher than normal and therefore protect it ? Unless the incorrect amp fuse was installed ? I am not even sure what amp fuse should have been in there to begin with ? It had a 20 amp and the owner told me years ago it blew and he replaced it. Maybe he just used one he had and not the correct one. I do know the 20 amp I replaced was melted and hard to remove from fuse holder.

This did happen it seemed just after I used that pressure washer which I will never do again. Maybe I caused this but with him replacing the fuse in the past I might not have but it was just time for this to happen. After all he give it away.

I have an older Kohler engine in my shop that I think has about the same engine as this one. The engine is bad and I could use the DSAI if by chance it is the same but want to make sure no high voltage would fry it. Sorry for all the questions but even at my age I still like to learn. THANKS
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am

I have seen these Kohler regulators to have their sealing compound (epoxy I think) to separate from the heat sink; therefore, allowing water or other liquid to enter and short them out. Not your fault that you clean it in one sense as it would have sooner or later anyways especially if it was left outdoors. You were just the unlucky person that it failed on. As said Murphy is always around to get you.

I had one to fail last year while testing a rider after repairs. Started blowing 15A fuses for no apparent reason. But after high charge voltage was found I replace the regulator. It wouldn't blow the fuse at startup but after 5-10 minutes it would pop the fuse. Now I will admit the mower had sat several years and mice had a field day with it. So much poop and urine plus chewed wires it wasn't funny.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm

The regulator I removed was fine. No breaks or opening and looks as it's never been hot or wet.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:13 am

This is a 16.5 hp engine. I had 17.5 in my old mind not that is makes any difference. I would still install the original style coil if I could find one being I did install a good V/R and checked all grounds .

I only wanted to use this old mower to cut my shop grass which is about 1/3 acre.

I still got the old 1991 Murray on standby so I am in no hurry. Maybe someone here has one they could sell me.

The steering is messed up also which has lots of play in it. That is why I was cleaning all the grass from under gas tank to begin with.

He told me the deck is worn out even though I have not checked that so far. I can weld and have plenty of spare time to repair it.
I just don't want to invest too much $$ in this old thing and other things start falling off lol
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 am

Its not as old as the Murray considering the engine appear to be 2009.

With the over voltage problem you had I kinda doubt just changing the coil is going to fix it as the DSAI module is probably damaged.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I forgot about that part. Thanks. It will run for a little while so I guess I need to see how it mows. If ok then I will buy the updated ignition part and be done with it. Won't have worry about over voltage again. I guess I will have to buy a volt meter as this one is burnt up also. All because the regulator was bad and I didn't know it.
jerkputter123
Guide

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum