• Advertisement

What came first...chicken or egg

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

What came first...chicken or egg

Postby dennis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:13 pm

I am working on a Poulan Pro mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine....Model 12H602, Type 0342-E1, Code 041103FB. Looking at the illustrated parts list, it looks like the intake gasket (reference #51, part #692668) goes between the carburetor and the carburetor spacer (reference #122, part # 692799). However, when I took the carb off, it was directly against the carburetor spacer. The intake gasket was between the carburetor spacer and intake manifold. Which is correct? Thanks.
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: What came first...chicken or egg

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Dennis

On a set-up with any kind of insulator between the intake port and the carburetor, there will usually be 2 gaskets, one either side of the insulator. Seeing that this appears to be a 2005 machine, I suspect it's already been apart before and one of the gaskets was lost or forgotten, or tore upon removal and left out during reassembly. Hop this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Carburetor - > 697735 -> 692799 -> 692668 -> intake port should be the assembly order..
Note that 692668 OEM gasket has a peel-off liner to expose an adhesive to allow it to stick (glue) to the surface for alignment purposes while 697735 does not .. but other than the adhesive and secondary alignment tab (which can be broken off anyhow) there's little difference between the 2 gaskets so it doesn't particularly matter which one goes where as long as they all line up properly and sandwich the 692799 (gasket/insulator/spacer, whichever term you prefer, but technically it is an insulator, though some IPLs call it a gasket , others may call it spacer... ) between them
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dennis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks Skywatcher and bgsengine. I guess when it was put back together before, the gasket between the carb and insulator/spacer was left out. Looking at the IPL for the carb with the primer system, which this has, it only shows one gasket. I notice the overhaul kit and carb gasket kit have more. Thanks again.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum